isolation for smoke alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When wiring smoke alarms i prefer to wire off a regularly used lighting circuit, now i read last week and i have not got the publication to hand that there should be a means of isolating them from the supply for servicing, but there must surley be a temptation for the user to isolate them if they get nuisance alarms when making the sausage sandwiches. would an unswitched fused spur be a solution? but that would easily be removed by a half intelligent half foolish person. Who installs isolation for smokes?

Sponsored Links
we subby for the concil and when we are installing smoke alarms we have to put a unswitched fuse spur on the circuit, yes it is stupid, like you said put them on the lighting circuit, then it would be a case of if u switch the smokes off youve got no lights, it makes perfect sence

thanks sparky 0000, i read that we should be isolatating smokes locally so that they could be serviced while lighting remains on!

sparky ooo, re re-reading your post do i understand that if on a lighting circuit the smokes dont need to be isolated, but if they are on their own circuit then you do. if the later is the case then surley the mcb can do that?

Sponsored Links
i understand what you mean, but they want an unswitched fuse spare whether they are off the lighting circuit or on there own mcb, im not sure why thats just what they state.

How many councils know what they are asking? Wire into the lighting circuit, then if the lighting mcb trips you know that the smokes aint working.

That only applies to mains only smokes.
Most sensible folk install mains smokes with battery back up. You can switch them off but they blip at you every 2 minutes or so.

Exactly what kind of servicing are they referring to? If it's just for general cleaning of the alarm and such, the easiest method of isolation may be plug and socket - use alarms which mount on a removable base.

we use the optical with 10 year backup battery, and they have a easy remove method, but concils ah

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back