Smoke Alarm on a fused spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was looking to add a smoke alarm running off the mains, when I was looking at it today there is a 2 gang double socket in the room above where I want to put the alarm. Upon lifting the floor boards in the room above, I founf the location i wanted the alarm is far from the lighting ring, so am i allowed to create a fused spur off the Main ring for the smoke alarm?

I would normally wire the alarm with a continual live from a ceiling rose, but can I wire the alarm to the ring main?

Is it allowed to have a fused spur under the floor boards? Or will I have to bring it to a faceplate with access to the fuse into a all mounted back box?

Should I put in a switched or unswitched spur for the alarm?

Am I correct in that it should be 2.5mm to the spur and then 1.0mm to the alarm from the fused spur.

Many Thanks
Jeff

Sponsored Links
I would not put a smoke alarm on a fused spur. If the fuse goes, or it gets switched off then you won't know.
Thats why its better to use a lighting circuit, you'll always notice that if it didn't work.

For your other queries:

Is it allowed to have a fused spur under the floor boards? Or will I have to bring it to a faceplate with access to the fuse into a all mounted back box?
NEVER put a fused spur under the floor, how will you access it if/when the fuse goes!

Should I put in a switched or unswitched spur for the alarm?
Unswitched, but use a lighting circuit
Am I correct in that it should be 2.5mm to the spur and then 1.0mm to the alarm from the fused spur.
Depends on the fuse size, but you'd probably use a 3A fuse, so 1mm is OK, but use the lighting circuit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back