Isolation valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Experts

What are the rules on isolation valves in bathrooms? Do you have to fit ball valves on all the tap supplies to baths, sinks and the toilet or is it just good practice

Sponsored Links
Isolation valves are required by Water Regulations to isolate "parts of a system", for maintenance. Much better to have them everywhere they might be needed, though often not fitted on a bath, and can be hard on a shower too.

Where I live isolation valves aren't required by the plumbing code, but they're installed to facilitate maintenance. If you can just shut off the water to the part of the plumbing you need to repair, you can still live in the house relatively comfortably. If you have to shut the water off to the whole house just to replace one lousy leaking washer on one faucet, then any problems that crop up while replacing that washer are potentially much more serious problems because they might prevent you from being able to turn the water back on. And, that might mean going without water anywhere in the house until the problem is overcome and the faucet fixed.

I wonder if your isolation valves are as bad as ours? Everyone uses these close to taps etc
10405.gif
which cost about 40p (US$0.70) , and they keep us in work, so many leak after a while. It's not surprising that people leave them out.
Anything better is huge and ugly!

Sponsored Links
The water regulations say that its compulsery to fit isolation valves on float operated valves,other appliances are optional but i'd fit them,makes it a heck of alot easier

Thanks guys, most helpful.

I don't like the little ball valves either. I live in a bungalow and they reduce the flow to much to the taps. I have used 22mm ones with reducers in the past but I was thinking of putting a couple of full bore 1/4 turn valves in the loft where the H-C feeds drop down.

I do have a ball valve on the toilet (flow not important) so it seems that I'm within the water regs with valves in the loft

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back