Issue Installing Bathroom Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I want to replace my old Manrose bathroom extractor fan with the quieter model, but after removing the old one I realised that the ventilation shaft has a groove (see 1st image) that obstructs the new extractor fan as the new one seems to be taller than the old one (see 2nd image).

Any ideas on how I can work around this? Any suggestions on how I can remove the groove? Or would I need to slice the ventilator pipe off from above the groove? If yes then how?

Thanks,
Ducky

View media item 107489
View media item 107488

Sponsored Links
can we see the internals of the new fan?
is there enough scope to remove some of the spigot?

Several options try tapping it backwards see if there’s any movement, you could cut it out with a small Dremel tool and saw blade or you could make up a packer on the outside to allow the new fan to fit.

Sponsored Links
Several options try tapping it backwards see if there’s any movement

Tried, didn't budge :(

you could cut it out with a small Dremel tool and saw blade

Probably the most plausible option given the circumstances. When you say "cut it down" are you referring to the fan or the ventilation shaft groove?

you could make up a packer on the outside to allow the new fan to fit.

Would appreciate it if you could please explain this option :)

you could cut it out with a small Dremel tool and saw blade

Follow up question - I don't own a dremel tool, but I do have a power drill (Bosch PSR 1800 LI-2, see specs below). Any chance I can use this as a dremel? If yes then what kind of saw blade would I need to get and how would I attach it to the drill? Note that the ventilation shaft is plastic.

View media item 107492

Looks to me like the old one was cut, or has snapped. Have you tried gently pulling the ducting down?

Hi all,

I need to slice off a section of a ventilator shaft to fit a larger bathroom extractor fan. See first image. I need to remove the section from above the groove as the groove is blocking the new extractor fan from going in.

The easiest way to do it would be a Dremel, but I don't own one. I do have a power drill (Bosch PSR 1800 LI-2, see specs in second image below). Any chance I can use this as a dremel? If yes then what kind of saw blade would I need to get and how would I attach it to the drill? Note that the ventilation shaft is plastic.

Thanks,
Ducky

View media item 107489
View media item 107492

I had the same issue.

I put in a separate flap valve upsteam in the duct and trimmed back the spigot on the new fan. (Removing the built in valve).

Works a treat.

Can you get into the loft above? And change it?

I had a similar problem. Modern fans not fitting into old ducts made of soil pipe. I had to slit and cut the old pipe, in one case using a multicutter and a dremel. You would do better to buy a cheap one, e,g. at Aldi or Lidl or Screwfix

I had the same issue.

I put in a separate flap valve upsteam in the duct and trimmed back the spigot on the new fan. (Removing the built in valve).

Works a treat.

Thanks for sharing. Could you please let me know exactly how you did it? Would really appreciate that.

No loft access unfortunately.

Note that I don't really care about the finish or the saw blade. Happy for it to be single use.

think it would just bounce about like something completely mad, take a big chunk out of the plasterboard then get imbedded in your forehead.

the high speed of a dremmel type device and small blade give a bit more control.

Thanks for sharing. Could you please let me know exactly how you did it? Would really appreciate that.

Bought a stand alone wafer/butterfly valve:
41RF5gOqLqL._SY300_.jpg

Did some jiggling about and set it as high as i could into the duct. My ducting is waste pipe so i used no-nails to set it. If i need to remove it in future I'll have to destroy it but its not been a problem since i did it a decade ago.

With the valve sat high in the duct, i removed the built in valve on my new fan (xpelair) and trimmed down the spigot as much as i need to to get clearance on the valve in the duct.

Works great.

You've a flexible hose coupling?
Suppose you could do similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back