Issue with light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have searched forums but cant find any help.

I have recently changed a plastic light switch, in the upstairs bedroom.

I rewired it the same way It was wired previously, but when I turn the electric back on, only that bedroom light comes on, the light in the back room and landing dont.

My house has a 2 switch light in the hall way, this turns the hall way and the landing upstairs on and off. I have a single switch on the landing and then have 2 rooms with single switch lights.

The light switch has 3 red wires and green earth wires.

Sorry to sound such a noob and I hope I have explained it well enough, but could anyone please give me pointers on how to get this fixed.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If you put the switch you have changed to the on position ( light on in bedroom) then go to try the other lights, do they work then?

Any chance of a pic of the wires and the switch you have changed?

Have you done anything else? ( e.g. changed a light fitting)

there are only 3 red wires :(

I have put one in each of the slots avaliable, the bottom 2 slots are labelled L1 and L2, I am unsure what the top one is called.

I put these in the same slots i took them out, the switch was not identical to the one I was replacing but the layout was the same.

Hi.

The other lights do not work with the light on, I have done nothing else but change this switch.

I am at work at the moment but I will take a picture of the switch when I get home.

Just to add. The plug sockets still work.

If you have only changed this switch and nothing else then it's possible that two cores were originally in Common (live looped at switch) and one core in L1. This would make sense if you currently had the loop in/loop out in L1/L2 and the switch wire in common.

Only a guess but try moving the two reds in L1 and L2 to C, and the red in C to L1... ;)

Bongos,
Thats why i asked whether the faulty lights start working when the suspect switch is turned on.

If you put the switch you have changed to the on position ( light on in bedroom) then go to try the other lights, do they work then?

not if he's put the live feed in the L1 position and not the common...

to make sure the wiring is not damaged put ALL 3 reds into ONE terminal block and switch he power back on..
the light should be permananently on and the rest of the lights working again..

now..

turn off the power and take ONE red out of the terminal block, put it in it's own block and turn the power back on..

one of 3 things will happen..

1) the lights will not work at all
2) the bedroom light will go off and the rest of the lights still work
3) the bedroom light stayts on and the rest of the lights will not work..

if 1 then the red you took out is the live feed.
if 2 then the red you took out is the switch wire to the light
if 3 then the red you took out is the loop to the rest of the lights

mark it with a bit of tape and a pen then put it back and take out one of the other reds..
repeat of above.. mark it and then the unmarked red must be the other one of the 3..

not if he's put the live feed in the L1 position and not the common...
or if hes made some other error, like a bad termination onto insulation, wire fell out altogether, hence asking for picture.
I was really just asking him what does happen

Hi All thanks for your replies.

Sorry but no picture, been crazy busy (gf 5 days overdue and house not finished).

I was a bit worried about putting wires into the same block, I had visions of the house blowing up. but I will try it tonight

when I unscrew the switch, the wires are firmly secured into the terminal blocks.

I will trial and error when I get home and let you guys know how it goes.

Again, thanks for your informative replies.

I will trial and error when I get home and let you guys know how it goes.
Do you really think that is the best way to tackle electrical work?

Wouldn't learning how lighting circuits work, and equipping yourself with the right tools (a multimeter doesn't cost much), be a better and safer way to go about things rather than ignorant guessing, hoping that you'll chance on the correct connections?

I understand what you are saying, and maybe I could have wrote that bit different.

I was just responding to a reply I had from what it looks like is a seasoned DIYer, who looked like he/she was suggesting to me to do some trial and error.

I understand the dangers that arise from working with electrics, but I have come on this site asking for help and was open to suggestions.

I will pick up a multimeter on my way home tonight.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back