2 way switch backwards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2 way switch in my hall - one switch controlling the hall lights and another the landing light. The hall is fine so forget that.

However the landing light is wired ‘backwards’ I think. If the upstairs switch is ‘on’ and the downstairs switch is ‘on’ the light is off. I think the downstairs switch is wired ‘backwards’ - can I just swap the wires? If so, which ones? Picture attached. It’s the wiring on the left. Not the right.

Attachments

• 331FED09-F961-4A80-A7B3-127631F44BB9.jpeg
    331FED09-F961-4A80-A7B3-127631F44BB9.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 32
Sponsored Links
If the upstairs switch is ‘on’ and the downstairs switch is ‘on’ the light is off.
I assume when you are saying 'on' you really mean up. Does it matter?
I think the downstairs switch is wired ‘backwards’ - can I just swap the wires?
If you REALLY THINK there is a problem - Yes
If so, which ones? Picture attached. It’s the wiring on the left. Not the right.
I'd imagine the black and grey will do it - but it won't make any actual functional difference.

Why are you so concerned about the position of 2 switches which you probably can't see or reach at the same time?

If both switches are ‘off’ then the light is off.

If one is off and one is on then the light is on.

I’d prefer it if both on equals on.

Sponsored Links
I assume when you are saying 'on' you really mean up. Does it matter?

If you REALLY THINK there is a problem - Yes

I'd imagine the black and grey will do it - but it won't make any actual functional difference.

Why are you so concerned about the position of 2 switches which you probably can't see or reach at the same time?
I guess it’s so I can see if the light is on or off. I have smart light bulbs and it’s not always possible to tell if they should be on or not.

I’ll try to swap the grey with the black wire.

If both switches are ‘off’ then the light is off.

If one is off and one is on then the light is on.

I’d prefer it if both on equals on.
I assume when you say ON you really mean UP

The suggestion of swapping the grey and black wires solved my problem. Both switches being in the on position equals the lights being on. This is what I wanted.

Thank you to everybody who replied.

Picture of what I mean by ‘on’.

Attachments

• 3A75D072-47AE-4684-860B-1451393CD92C.jpeg
    3A75D072-47AE-4684-860B-1451393CD92C.jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 24
The suggestion of swapping the grey and black wires solved my problem. Both switches being in the on position equals the lights being on. This is what I wanted.

Thank you to everybody who replied.

Picture of what I mean by ‘on’.
Please explain what you mean by ON

If your system is working properly with both switches in the position you show (down) and the light is on, then by assumption you mean with up the switches in the up position your light is off --- as EFL says --- not possible

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back