Issues with dampdamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have been having some issues with damp and would like some advice on how to proceed. The damp is occurring in my dining room and it is happening on every wall around the room, some worse than others. It is particularly bad on the chimney breast and exterior wall though. Despite there being a damp proof course already present on the exterior wall. The house is a fairly old terraced building, I am unsure how old exactly but it has lathe and plaster ceilings which my indicate its age

I have attached some photos.

The first photo is on the exterior wall to the dining room. Behind this wall is a private passageway so there is no chance of the damp being caused by rain penetrating from the outside.

The 2nd photo is on the chimney breast. The chimney breast is really badly affected on all sides.

3rd photo is on the side of the
passageway from the dining room to the kitchen

Any advice much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20160615_222919.jpg
    20160615_222919.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 20160630_065058.jpg
    20160630_065058.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 20160630_065114.jpg
    20160630_065114.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 93
Sponsored Links
Impossible to say from photos alone.

As you say walls already have DPC (I assume it is working) and penetrating damp has been ruled out I will have a stab. How about wall plaster has bridged DPC or wall plaster taken down to damp floor slab?

Really needs someone to make a site inspection and diagnose accordingly.

"
but it has lathe and plaster ceilings which my indicate its age "

I really hate those lathe and plaster ceilings: the chuck is always in the wrong place and those heavy, green, cast-iron metal bodies are a bastard to clean.

Sponsored Links
A plan view indicating where you are having damp problems would help to locate your text and photos?
Further photos of the whole chimney breast, and the external wall surfaces at ground level might help?
Are your floors solid or suspended?
There's been repair work to the c/breast skirting which might imply past damp work - what kind of DPC are you referring to?
Does your c/breast run up to a stack on the roof?
Typically, plaster lath & terraced housing would date before 1914 but not always. If you still have your mortgage survey report it should give an estimate of the house age.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back