Issues with moving trees...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have three trees in my garden which I planted for Tree O'Clock link (2009)

92042-6ca0d7c9294cff97062a90c6c5d6e076.jpg

The one on the left I planted for tree o'clock, the other two I planted a couple of months later after they had dried out. (I must of planted them that close cause I didn't think they would survive)

As you can see, for being 6/7 years old they are only about 7ft for the tallest. (My dads is probably about 15ft) And they are approximately 1'6" apart.

I now need to move the middle one (on 'er indoors orders)
My plan was to move the one on the right (a hazel tree) to my 'wild' corner, and then moving the right most one over.

It started well, and I'd managed to start digging a small trench, but unfortunately my spade broke! I tried to wriggle the soil more with my fork, and that also broke
92040-96d224d56d110d5e339ae80f7a08e691.jpg

My fault for buying cheap tools!

SWMBO demands that the trees be moved. I've suggested kill the two and getting new ones, but that's cruel apparently!
And she wont live with the trees staying put!

Does anyone have any suggestions, hints or tips for moving trees?

Sponsored Links
If the soil is so compacted that your tools broke, that might give you some clue as to why the trees aren't exactly flourishing...

Prepare the soil better, No.1 cause for dead young trees in my experience (aside from people not watering them) is waterlogging. Loosen the soil and add grit, dont just dig a hole big enough for the root ball, dig it the same again and loosen soil deeper that the root ball too. Trees that size will have very small root ball and be very easy to move.

Water them if needed for 3 months after moving them.

Its one of those things that gardening programs tell you, prepare soil before planting etc but 90% of people do nothing more than dig a hole barely big enough and if it doesnt die they think they did it right.

If you prepare soil properly it makes such a huge difference and plants really thrive. To be honest trees can sometimes be anomalies as you can sometimes plant 2 of the same variety almost right beside each other and one grows and one doesn't but with 95% of plants the above applies

Moving trees your size is quite easy.
Must be done when dormant, now is good if ground is not to wet.
Use a sharp edged spade & slice down about 18'' away from trunk, you will be slicing the roots, just go round & round & then try & put a fork down & pull on the trunk.
I have just moved a cherry tree.
Ensure you prepare the new area, dig a big hole loosen soil all around & down, mix in some bone meal, stake & plant.

If the soil is so compacted that your tools broke, that might give you some clue as to why the trees aren't exactly flourishing...

Prepare the soil better, No.1 cause for dead young trees in my experience (aside from people not watering them) is waterlogging. Loosen the soil and add grit, dont just dig a hole big enough for the root ball, dig it the same again and loosen soil deeper that the root ball too. Trees that size will have very small root ball and be very easy to move.

Water them if needed for 3 months after moving them.

Its one of those things that gardening programs tell you, prepare soil before planting etc but 90% of people do nothing more than dig a hole barely big enough and if it doesnt die they think they did it right.

If you prepare soil properly it makes such a huge difference and plants really thrive. To be honest trees can sometimes be anomalies as you can sometimes plant 2 of the same variety almost right beside each other and one grows and one doesn't but with 95% of plants the above applies

@r896neo, too right that soils compacted! And its full of rubble/stones!

I'm not too worried about the trees being small, it's a small garden, so non-flourishing trees are welcome!!

Re your advice about soil prep, I always try and dig in some extra compost whenever I plant plants. I'm just not very good at watering them all that often.

Sponsored Links
Moving trees your size is quite easy.
Must be done when dormant, now is good if ground is not to wet.
Use a sharp edged spade & slice down about 18'' away from trunk, you will be slicing the roots, just go round & round & then try & put a fork down & pull on the trunk.
I have just moved a cherry tree.
Ensure you prepare the new area, dig a big hole loosen soil all around & down, mix in some bone meal, stake & plant.

@Diyisfun, I'm not quite sure how far from the truck I was digging, to be honest I don't think I found that many roots (only one or two quite large ones)

I think my problem was that I was trying to go too deep. I was too worried about the tap root and trying to get as much of that out.

If only I had thought about pulling on the trunk. That might actually of helped!

If only I had moved them last year... Or the year before...

They say you should spend as much money on the hole as on the plant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back