Tall Trees / Plants for Wall privacy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved into a new-build which has a brick wall behind the garden which looks over onto a forecourt of other houses. The brick wall from my garden is high enough as I cannot easily look over it. However, from the other side the road level is much higher so whenever someone is standing around they can see straight into my garden. From the road side the fence looks very low. One option is to raise the wall maybe with featherboards. Other option I was thinking is to plant tall plants/trees along that wall on the outside. The outside of the wall i have landscape soil which is part of my property and at the moment it's just full of wood bark.

I dont know much about plants or trees. Can anyone recommend any place where I can get tall plants that grow quick and can provide me with all year privacy.

Sponsored Links
The danger of "grow quick and give me year-round privacy" is that they will keep growing quickly till they block out all the light to your garden and windows.

I suggest adding a bit of trellis to the top of the wall and then grow a clematis and a rose through it.

I'd also suggest a trellis. Sow climbing nasturtiums, together with some climbing runner beans, and plant a couple of Clematis Armandii and rambling roses - maybe Rambling Rector or Seagull.
The nasturtiums and beans will give you privacy the first summer, then the clematis and rose will take over. At that point you might want to pull the nasturtiums out (easy to do).
In terms of maintenance, you'd then occasionally weave the rose and clematis into the trellis, and cut it back if they get too big - a lot less work than keeping a fast growing hedge in check.

Sponsored Links
How high is the wall now, and how high do you want to go.

The danger of "grow quick and give me year-round privacy" is that they will keep growing quickly till they block out all the light to your garden and windows.

I was reminded of this yesterday. We have a row of laurels halfway down the garden and I cut a couple of them back early last year, so maybe 14 months. They are mature (well established when we moved here 10 years ago) so will probably recover faster than something new, but the photos below show why many people (me included) regard laurels as close to weeds.

IMG_20180320_173436167.jpg IMG_20180320_173507907.jpg IMG_20180320_173642373.jpg

In the first one you can see the stump, which is c. 6" across at the top. All of the greenery is new growth, it was a bare stump after I cut it. The top of the highest shoots are just under 6' off the ground and start c. 1' off the ground, so have grown 5' in a year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back