Italian hero.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...heroic tale of SAS Operation 'Galia'...
...Chella Leonardo di Chella Narcisso, from the village of Valeriano near La Spezia. He was one of three young cousins from that village who had joined my father's partisans. Two of the three cousins were captured and murdered during Operation Galia by enemy forces because of the help that they gave to the SAS...
...The SAS stick for which Chella Leonardo was the guide sheltered overnight in a hut on the edge of a small village called Montebello. They were betrayed by one of the villagers to the Fascist Brigata Nera. The Brigata Nera surrounded the hut, and took the SAS and Chella Leonardo prisoner. Chella was tortured by the Brigata Nera, and then executed by them. The fate of the SAS was far better - they were taken prisoner and survived the war...
...The commander of Special Force, Florence, at the relevant time was a Major Charles Macintosh. My father's report to Major Macintosh of this incident was as follows:

"Please could you do all possible to obtain an award for the following person: Chella Leonardo di Chella Narcisso: This was my lad who was with the SAS stick. On being captured, he was tortured, refused to talk, and was then shot. Something will also have to be done about a pension for his family."...
I sincerely hope something was done for the family...
Food for thought when someone cracks an Italian bravery joke in future.
--

Sponsored Links
Sound like a very brave and trustworthy young man.
His actions and bravery should be commended in a very difficult situation his loyalty to the allies stayed true.
But alas I doubt that any further action will have been taken to award the lad an honour or his family any pension funding.
I understand he is hero worshipped in the village where the young man came from.
Lest we forget

the italians were extremly poorly lead and under equipped in the early part of the war when we fought them. They fought extremly bravely in appaling conditions on the eastern front, so they arent all the jokes about them make out.

Sponsored Links
Back