it's a long shot...

Reaction score
Country
United States
anyone know where the "elizabethan collar"....the name originated from?

it's marathon queen of england, mary queen of scots, henry VIII...etc this weekend. Figured I could google it, but no luck so far.
:confused:

Sponsored Links
Is it a ruffled or goffered collar?

Unless it's a 20th century term, it must be Elizabeth 1st of Englad (daughter of Henry 8th). Liked the latest Shakespearean plays. Sponsored trips to North America (hence Virginia, as she was an unmarried lady).

England has only had two Monarchs named Elizabeth, one of whom is alive now.

Scotland has only had one.

She is wearing a goffered collar in this picture.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...it.jpg/262px-Elizabeth_I_Darnley_Portrait.jpg

Pictures of E1R are unreliable as they show fantastic costumes, some of which are clearly from the painters imagination as it has not been possible to replicate them.

i would have to say goffered (had to look it up). At first I only noticed it on Mary, Queen of Scots.....but then some of the men had them too. I dont know if that's what they're called, but thats what I thought of when I saw it.

MQofS was E1R's half-sister and so a contemporary.

Sponsored Links
yes that's it. was it just a fashion statement? or did it have a meaning to it?

catches the gravy drips so you only need to have your dress taken apart and cleaned every two years. Expensive to make, launder and iron (with starch and a goffering iron) so you had to be rich to wear one as you needed servants with nothing more useful to do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruff_(clothing)

speaking of dresses.......man. They had big dresses then....and big billowy garments....men and women alike. dont ask me why the big interest now....it just struck me ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabethan_collar
180px-Elizabeth1England.jpg

woof woof !
120px-Dog_hat_3.JPG

:D

i know....that's what I thought of when I saw it......strange (to me) it is called a ruff ;)

Like many fashions throughout time the Elizabethan collar or ruff had its origins in a display of wealth. So called Elizabethan (to state the bl44din obvious) because it was seen predominantly in the reign of Elizabeth 1 of England. As has been said previously you would need a lot of spondulics to purchase and launder these, sometimes needing several a day. They display a fashion accessory that you cant do much manual work in...so an outward statement to say 'look I'm a lazy sod'
Also in the same era were worn slashed sleeves to display silken undershirts which also showed wealth, and which in turn the undershirt was to have slashes in them also to outwardly say 'look I've got more spondulics than you plebs'.
Now the cod piece takes on a whole fashion statement all of its own (check out the size of Henry Vlll cod piece. What these said was 'Virile, Manly, Mighty and could be easily untied if you got some action pending' but thats a whole different kettle of fish (or cod).

Sponsored Links
Back