It's Business

B

Bodd

I'd like your thoughts on this please.

I'm a 24 hour service. Maybe only 1% of my work is early hours.

I got a call this morning 2 30 am. Woman has an uncontrollable leak.

How much she asks
£180 I say. (Per hour)

I don't have that sort of money in the house she says.
Don't worry I'll have t trust you.

I set out to a wealthy Ish area.
I think should I be charging more than £180 for my first hour.

I get there she's happy to see me.

I was the only plumber in 15 calls that answered the phone.

I make safe. Said I'll be back in the morning to fix her problem with the part needed.

I don't know where the water turns off. She says since her husband died. (She's only in her 40s) that took me back a bit.

Don't worry. I showed her and said I'll free that valve up for you as well.

She then said I do have the money. (cash) This what I was putting in my children's bank account for their birthday.

If I got over the guilt the first time (husband) she really got me the with that one.

This will play on my conscience as I will be charging her more when I return for the repair. I'll charge because this is what I do but its hard sometimes..

Give me it I can take it

Bod

Sponsored Links
Good business is where both sides profit. She asked for a service & you gave that service at a price that she was aware of. The only thing I would pick up on . . . Could you not have talked with her a few minutes to discover how to turn off the water without the need for a visit at that time?

If you feel guilty taking the money then you have no place in business.

P.S. Trading standards should contact these so called 24/7 trades randomly 3x, those that fail should be prosecuted.

The water would have carried on leaking had you not attended.

Isnt this going to be an insurance claim anyway, if the leak caused damage.

How can you offer 24hrs if you have a full diary of work booked. Im mean if you are going back this morning, does that mean cancelling somebody else

Sponsored Links
Bodd, she called 15 other plumbers, you answered, gave her a price and she said yes.

She could of waited until 8am and completely flooded her home, then started phoning around to find someone this morning. Which then could of being another couple of hours. All the other emergency call out plumbers have a charge of approx. £100 from 8am.

Andy

I should add that I don't think she was trying to give me the guilt trip. She could not apologise enough and was appreciative.

The only thing I would pick up on . . . Could you not have talked with her a few minutes to discover how to turn off the water without the need for a visit at that time?

I have done this often but no.
I had woken from a deep sleep and she was in a panic.

Making safe took less than 5 muns. I took the time to walk with her investigating and educating her.
The main stop cock was not budging.
She would have turned it. She did try.

I'd like your thoughts on this please.

I'm a 24 hour service. Maybe only 1% of my work is early hours.

I got a call this morning 2 30 am. Woman has an uncontrollable leak.

How much she asks
£180 I say. (Per hour)

I don't have that sort of money in the house she says.
Don't worry I'll have t trust you.

I set out to a wealthy Ish area.
I think should I be charging more than £180 for my first hour.

I get there she's happy to see me.

I was the only plumber in 15 calls that answered the phone.

I make safe. Said I'll be back in the morning to fix her problem with the part needed.

I don't know where the water turns off. She says since her husband died. (She's only in her 40s) that took me back a bit.

Don't worry. I showed her and said I'll free that valve up for you as well.

She then said I do have the money. (cash) This what I was putting in my children's bank account for their birthday.

If I got over the guilt the first time (husband) she really got me the with that one.

This will play on my conscience as I will be charging her more when I return for the repair. I'll charge because this is what I do but its hard sometimes..

Give me it I can take it

Bod

How long have you been in business working for yourself?

Need somebody to pat you on the back and say, never mind, its ok?

Surely you make decisions like that every day?

Sponsored Links
Back