iv bled my radiator but theres still a cold spot?

J

joeread

iv bled my radiator but theres still a cold spot what could be the problem?

thanks

Sponsored Links
possibly gunge? I am not a plumber, but until one comes along, I'll ak -

how old is the system?
Has it been kept clean with inhibitor?
Have you done anything to the rest of the system?
Are all other rads OK? Has it just started?

Answer those now, cos when all the plumbers get in from work, that's what they'll be inclined to ask anyway!

Sponsored Links
Every Joe and his side kick gets a kick out of bleeding radiators. One client did this every week until one day the pin dropped out and there was water everywhere and a panic call to come quick and fix the leak (neighbour came to her rescue)- that is the last time she ever bled a radiator. This often is done without thought as sometimes there is NO NEED to bleed a radiator. Instead the brain needs to be engaged to reason why a radiator would need to be bleed before discharging system water to top it with OXYGEN rich water.

Air is lighter than water. If there is air in the radiator, it will be at the TOP of the radiator. This will result in hirizontal rib at the bottom heating up while horizontal rib at the top stays cold. This is the signal when the gold plated bleed key should be used to remove trapped air.

Hot water enters the radiator (most often- can be one of the top connections too) via the bottom connection and leaves the radiator from the opposite bottom connection (return connection). Since hot water is lighter than cold water, on entering the radiator, it rises to fill the top horizontal rib. Cold water flows out of the aforementioned return connection. Thus, hot water starts taking up more space downwards as colder water returns to the boiler to be heated. Hot water as it looses heat, sinks towards the base rib through the vertical channels in the radiator.

A blockage in the vertical rib, be it at the bottom, middle or top, will circulation, therefore willl become a cold spot.

What can you do? Well, remove the radiator, and flush it out in the garden with a hose. Most likely that will fix it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back