I've been exposed to asbestos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have unknowingly come into contact with asbestos on the school premises, whilst working as a site supervisor (caretaker).

having worked there for 2 months, i've only just found out a week ago.

the report shows that I have come into contact with a rope seal around a Boiler access hatch'

The school has an 'Asbestos Report', but had hidden it from me, as I was the one who was to be doing the "DIY" drilling etc. around the school.

A contractor came onto school premises to carry out repairs and renovation, and immediately requested to see the Asbestos Report, prior to work commencing.

the head of the centre and her secretary went pale in the face, during the meeting with the contractor, as the 2 ladies already knew, that the floor tiles had asbestos under them, placed over the pipe work that was to be renewed, possibly causing the contractor to increase the job price, which may include the hefty removal costs.

I should have been shown this report, and pics included, prior to my job starting, so that i could conduct my jobs in safety, AND sign it.

They still to this date have not done so, and is void of my signature.
it was complied back in 2006, by Capita symmonds.

i've informed hse, as I no longer have confident in the management of the school.

what next?...does the Law have anything to say about this, and the conduct of the Head of the center, and her Secretary?

Sponsored Links
The HSE will come down on them very severely. They issue very hefty fines for anyone not adhering to the Control of Asbestos Regulations.

They have the report detailing the asbestos content on the premises, but they have failed to give you training, which is mandatory.

The HSE will come down on them very severely. They issue very hefty fines for anyone not adhering to the Control of Asbestos Regulations.

They have the report detailing the asbestos content on the premises, but they have failed to give you training, which is mandatory.

"...training, which is mandatory"

even though i am on a '6 month probation period' and not a confirmed member of staff?

hefty fine you say...hmmm, you mean for not showing it me or not training me, or both?

The rope seal isn't a real big deal tbh, and the asb. under the floor...
Could that be 'contained within the floor tiles'? Some floor tiles used to be made from asbestos, these are also relatively safe left in situ.

Sponsored Links
If your school is employing a contractor to carry out repairs and renovation, exactly what sort of 'DIY drilling' jobs are you likely to be asked to do? Would you just be drilling into walls or have you already drilled into the rope seal?

If your school is employing a contractor to carry out repairs and renovation, exactly what sort of 'DIY drilling' jobs are you likely to be asked to do? Would you just be drilling into walls or have you already drilled into the rope seal?

1.) drilling into walls, hanging fixture
2.) drilling into ceilings, hanging light fittings
3.) drilling into a wall fixture 3" away from the 'rope seal'!

i should have said..the contractor has been allocated a one week contract for the renewal of the main soil pipe, which has kinked and also collapsed over a long period of time, and replacing the old plastic 'Linoleum' in the ladies toilet.

they have signed it...

i just do the simple jobs, that theteachers want doing ASAP.

Quite honestly, it sounds like you don't really like working there SS. When I worked as a caretaker at a local school, the job itself was ok, but the kids were a constant PITA. Cleaning up after them and their shenanigans was the worst part of the job. Replacing doors they had kicked in, cleaning graffiti off walls etc and making the site secure after their many break ins was the pits. Being called out at 10 o clock at night because the alarms had gone off to was a bit of a bind.
Mind you, the teachers couldn't keep the kids in school during the daytime, and we couldn't keep them out at night. ;) ;) ;)

there was a compliant form on that page, which i filled in, and just sent. i've given my permission to them, to use my name, when they converse with the school.

Quite honestly, it sounds like you don't really like working there SS. When I worked as a caretaker at a local school, the job itself was ok, but the kids were a constant PITA. Cleaning up after them and their shenanigans was the worst part of the job. Replacing doors they had kicked in, cleaning graffiti off walls etc and making the site secure after their many break ins was the pits. Being called out at 10 o clock at night because the alarms had gone off to was a bit of a bind.
Mind you, the teachers couldn't keep the kids in school during the daytime, and we couldn't keep them out at night. ;) ;) ;)

don't really like working there...and i fear for my future health...

walking away, only puts the next Site supervisor in risk, and he may end up with cancer... :confused:

did you have any idea of the potential risks or are you just playing dumb to get a payout of some sort? two months is unlikely to have put you at serious risk unless you have been messing with the really nasty stuff like monkey dung. rope seals and asbestos pipes are likely to be low risk.

did you have any idea of the potential risks or are you just playing dumb to get a payout of some sort? two months is unlikely to have put you at serious risk unless you have been messing with the really nasty stuff like monkey dung. rope seals and asbestos pipes are likely to be low risk.

People have lived in this environment for years upon years, and you complain about two months? Get Real! That's not jumping on the bandwagon, it's mounting it, and shouting Tally Ho! Get a life!

Wrong . One fibre of the wrong type of asbestos can kill you in years to come.
Its just your luck whether you are susceptible to it

Sponsored Links
Back