I've got a big bit of wood for desk top

I've got an electric sander. I could use that? In terms of sandpaper I know there's different grades. What one is best for this situation?

I've just watched a varnishing video. Looks quite simple and straightforward (although I realise it's easy to mess up).

I plan to try 2-3 coats or a varnish with some light sanding between each coat.

Need to decide on which varnish now too.

Thanks again Everyone

Sponsored Links
No, you should hand-sand with a sanding block along the grain. Maybe 120 or 150, probably finer between the coats.

You could go for a wiping varnish - e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wipe-On-Poly-16-Ounces-Gloss/dp/B003W06L0S (obviously not that one though as it's a bit pricey!)

I would probably opt for Satin though rather than gloss.

The above is solvent based so should be OK with the previously applied oil and that's what you want with any alternative product (not water based)... you can make a solvent-based polyurethane finish 'wipe-on' by thinning it down a bit (google DIY wipe on poly http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?74113-How-to-make-wipe-on-Poly) in terms of application a very knowledgeable gent on a carpentry forum I frequent posted the below:

Arm R Seal (not available in UK but is a solvent based Polyurethane varnish), satin, four coats.

1st coat full strength

sand 320

2nd coat full strength

sand 600

3rd coat thinned about 3:1 mineral spirits

sand 600

4th coat thinned about 1:1 mineral spirits

allow to cure

polish with 1000 or 2000 grit Platin pad, lubricated with 1:1 mix of mineral oil:mineral spirits...I do this by hand with the grain, not with ROS

wipe dry

The below is some of his work:
5_1.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back