I've got a mouse in my bedroom - please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sleepless night, am fiddling about on my laptop and watching TV, something caught my eye and it's a MOUSE strolling on the carpet by the side of my bed :eek:

I took my eye off it for a second and I think it must have gone under the bed. I've ordered a humane trap from eBay, but can someone please help me on the subject of electronic 'repellers' - I haven't got £20-30 to waste...

Just seen him/her again, definitely gone under the bed this time. Oh gawd :cry:

clemenzina

Sponsored Links
have you tried connecting it to your computer?

seriously though, them u sonic repelers don't work, i have had one for years, they do scare elephants though (we have not got any elephants running around, so it must work on them)

Humane mouse traps are a waste of time, you must kill the mouse, you need one of those like they have in tom and jerry, but you bait it with chocolate. a small bit of mars bar works very well.

If you dont kill said mouse it will only come back eventualy, it cant do that if its dead.

put the mouse traps close to the wall with the baited end close to the wall so that no matter which way the mosue is going it will set the trap off.

I really appreciate your advice, Breezer, but there's no way I could kill it, I even have to catch wasps in a tumbler and put them outside. House/bottle flies may have to die, but not without many attempts at shooing and much hand-wringing :rolleyes: I'm on the top floor of a 4-storey Victorian house, so surely my mouse wouldn't come back in to my particular flat if I put it in the garden?

Googling has led me to an ASA adjudication following complaints about JML's infomercial for their 'digital force field' repeller - upheld on about 10 counts :(

I presume I can't just let the mouse settle down here, there'd soon be generations of them if he finds a mate - if he hasn't already :eek: ...there could be a community under my bed, which hasn't been moved for (ahem) years and is too heavy for me to shift much. On the other hand, my cat slept with me until last December, so I don't think I've been harbouring a mouse for too long.

I'm rambling, very tired, been on mouse-watch all night now.

clemenzina :(

Humane trap and then take it a long way to rehome it :)

If you let it out in the garden it will come back.

Or ask someone to take it away and read it a goodnight story :D

One thing is for certain if Mickey likes his new home he will start bringing his mates round for wild parties in the small hours.

Sponsored Links
And after this one's gone, what about prevention? (Still haven't been to sleep!)

clemenzina :confused:

If you have seen one mouse you have got a lot more.

Stop eating chocolate biscuits in bed

Buy two young cats.

Do not leave petfood out. after they have finished eating put the bowls away and clean up. Put a tray under your parrot's cage and throw away the seeds he spills.

Get some tins or jars to put your cornflakes, flour, bread biscuit, dried fruit etc in (everything that isn't already in a tin or a bottle.

Inspect all your food packets and throw away all that have been nibbled or soiled

Swab all hard surfaces. Mice constantly dribble urine, and they, and others, smell and follow the trail, so your mouse, and others, will follow the trail through all the openings and cracks.

Buy some plastic crates for your clothes and shoes. You will not want them gnawed, full of baby mice, and smelling or urine.

Start getting used to the idea of using mouse bait (poison)

Once you have got used to the idea, buy some Rentokil Rat Bait (it comes in a white plastic bottle and works out far cheaper than buying little packet) and a dozen plastic flower-pot saucers, and put a teaspoonful in each, and put them under all your kitchen cabinets and wardrobes, and at the back of cupboards and wardrobes. Keep topping them up daily until they stop going down. Leave them in place for the next family of mice that comes in and check them every month or so. Put some under the bath, behind the toilet, behind the front door. Mice get in round pipe-holes and under doors.

Do not make big piles of bait, and do not leave them where they are easily accessible to pets or birds.

And kick the cat up the bum & tell it to do its job or else! :D

If you have seen one mouse you have got a lot more.

Stop eating chocolate biscuits in bed

Buy two young cats.

Put a tray under your parrot's cage and throw away the seeds he spills.

What parrot ? :LOL: Wouldn't the cats have a go at the parrot ? :LOL:
How do you know clem eats choccie biccies in bed ? :LOL:

What a hoot! There is ONLY one way to rid yourself of this type of vermin ... as breezer says, the old fashioned trap - a couple of quid from your local hardware shop. Death is immediate, no suffering. Yes, you do have to dispose of the body - placka bag then into the bin. Cheese bait doesn't work, breezer's choc is a good choice, but I favour a fresh peanut. Tip - use sewing cotton to tie the bait to the trap trigger otherwise Minnie (who'll now be pregnant) and Mickey will pinch the bait off the trap. Mice breed at an astonishing rate so you'll soon be overrun with disease carrying critters. Get a grip ... yes, I know they look sweet but your health is at risk. With Tiddles in the house make sure you place the trap when it can't get at it or it will look like a Tom & Jerry cartoon with the cat running around with a trap on it's nose.

Sonic tackle doesn't work and I wouldn't use poison (remember the cat), also if they take the poison they'll go away to die (slowly?) and you won't know if you've solved the problem ... you need a body count.

Sonic tackle doesn't work and I wouldn't use poison (remember the cat), also if they take the poison they'll go away to die (slowly?) and you won't know if you've solved the problem ... you need a body count.

You can tell, there is a particular aroma of deceased mouse. :cool:

Clem will have a cow at the thought of murdering a pregnant mouse. :LOL:

Don't forget there was handwringing at fly killing. :rolleyes:

bah, it's just pretence.

women are naturally brutal and callous.

look how they treat men.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back