I've just been Northern Rocked!!!

Sponsored Links
or the bonsai bank, it had to close some branches!!! :eek:

Personally, I would stick my cash in HSBC. Their exposure is one of the lowest out there, and being such a diverse bank, operating not just in mortgage buisness, but pretty much all banking business, it has plenty sources of cash should the need arise.

In fact, if anyone needs to remortgage, they are one of few banks actively seeking new mortgage customers. 4.99% for two years anyone? Rate match for two years anyone?

In the last 7 days the Origami Bank has folded, the Sumo Bank has gone belly up and the Bonsai Bank announced plans to cut some of its branches.

Yesterday, it was announced that the Karaoke Bank is up for sale and will likely go for a song, while today shares in the Kamikaze Bank were suspended after they nose-dived.

While the Samurai Bank is soldiering on following sharp cutbacks, the Ninja Bank is reported to have taken a hit, but they remain in the black.

Furthermore, 500 staff at the Karate Bank got the chop and analysts report that there is something fishy going on at the Sushi Bank where it is feared that staff may get a raw deal.

That mattress will come in handy then. ;)

Got it ordered this afternoon, just 84 weeks delivery time... Thank goodness for DFS's "we'll lend you money even if you can't afford it!" policy... :LOL:

ellal said:
as the OP should now know his money is probably with the russians

And I for one welcome our new financial overlords. ALL HAIL PUTIN (just don't name a street after him, he'll get embarassed)

Sponsored Links
Alistair darling has guaranteed icesavers will get all their money back from the uk gov.

Personally, I would stick my cash in HSBC. Their exposure is one of the lowest out there, and being such a diverse bank, operating not just in mortgage buisness, but pretty much all banking business, it has plenty sources of cash should the need arise.
They were the old Midland Bank one of the "big four" british banks before they got swallowed up due to their vast investment in the third world which ended up being written off as a debt. the bank soon being dissolved into HSBC so not surprising they learnt their lesson and dont want to get their fingers burnt again.

It does show how even the biggest banks are vunerable if they get too greedy and loan out too much of their savers money to risky investments.

Alistair darling has guaranteed icesavers will get all their money back from the uk gov.

err not quite..

brown has said that they will 'stand behind' the savings, but will be taking legal action against Iceland to get the money!

Yes, when you read it a second time, Darling is saying "The Icelandic government is a bunch of cheating gets, so we're going to INSIST they give the money back!"

I'm already losing confidence in ever seeing my money again.

300,000 depositors in the UK... Let's say an average of £3000 (probably much higher, judging by the number of people losing £10s and £100s of thousands). That's a billion quid! No wonder they don't want to pay up.

And to think, I was actually planning to visit Iceland one day. Perhaps I could persuade the Icelandic government to pay me in kind, i.e. they could put me up at the presidential mansion for a week, and give me all the snow I can eat! :LOL:

Perhaps I could persuade the Icelandic government to pay me in kind, i.e. they could put me up at the presidential mansion for a week, and give me all the snow I can eat! :LOL:
Avoid the yellow stuff it tastes awful.

300,000 depositors in the UK... Let's say an average of £3000 (probably much higher, judging by the number of people losing £10s and £100s of thousands). That's a billion quid! No wonder they don't want to pay up.

The figure is actually about £4billion.

Spoke to a couple of family members over there last night, and they don't see anything wrong with just paying out to Icelanders, and f*ck the foreigners (which apparently is a widespread feeling according to the news reports)!!

jeez in about 10 years time I'm going to buy up all the old mattresses I can find lol :LOL:

Sorry to hear about your news.After all their guarantees I reckon we should isolate Iceland and leave em to freeze, barstewards

This is terrible news. I have been in debt for many years following my Co going under with the foot & mouth epidemic. I know what it is like to wake up every morning with no money no food no rent lots of creditors chasing you and no where to go for money .
Its going to get worse before it gets any better.

:rolleyes:

Well that's not very nice of your Icelandic folks! Tell them from me that "Lazytown" is overrated and pretentious, their geysers are unremarkable and their mutton is tough and fatty. :eek:

Looking at CIA world factbook, the population of Iceland is 300,000. There are 300,000 British depositors. It would be incomprehensible if a UK based bank with 60 million depositors in one country went under. Couldn't do much for the economy to pay up. But, as someone who has to calculate and mitigate risks everyday in my job, I can't understand how they had no adequate mitigation strategies in place. There are people who took this risk of their own volition, their heads must roll.

The Icelandic government is most at fault. The banks all pay into a big pot to cover these eventualities. The Icelandic government failed on 2 counts:

1) didn't ensure enough was paid in
2) used the money elsewhere without replacing it

One way out would be for the UK government to bail them out of their £4.5Bn debt with the UK consumer in return for as much hydrogen as they can supply us when their new "hydrogen economy" takes off.

extract from the link above:

"The Icelandic government, believe it or not, have told me yesterday they have no intention of honouring their obligations here," said Mr Darling.

"Because this is a branch of a foreign bank the first call would be on the Icelandic compensation scheme which, as far as I can see, hasn't got any money in it"

so...

"As part of its plan the UK government has frozen all the British assets of Landsbanki until the position of savers in the UK becomes clear. "

ha ha ha!

Any more rumours about the Icelandic banks being a Russian Gangster scheme?

Sponsored Links
Back