Ivy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning Gardener's

I'm getting into this Gardening thing and have a new idea.

I'm end of terrace I have too sorts of ivy growing up it that is now getting established.
Now I understand that this is not very good for the brick work. But I would imagine it is good for nesting birds and insulation in the winter months.

Should I chop or leave?

Sponsored Links
Chop at the base leaving a gap of 50mm of where you have cut out, then leave the ivy to die off. Otherwise if you pull it down then it could pull the mortar out of the brick work.

Andy

Sponsored Links
I had an Aunti Ivy years back. I never liked at first. Then she grew on me.

Does it get sun? If so, flowers and fruit (tomatoes, strawberries) in baskets summer but nothing in winter. If it’s gets sun, birds won’t nest in it.

The side gets sun all day the back half a day. More more important is that it will form a natural insulation.

Chop at the base leaving a gap of 50mm of where you have cut out, then leave the ivy to die off. Otherwise if you pull it down then it could pull the mortar out of the brick work.

Andy

That's what I have and will do. I think birds are nesting so it'll give em time to go on right move and find an alternative

if you want to kill it, cut the stems a foot or two above ground level, and again six inches above that, and pull off the growth between, so you have a visible gap you can see to be clear with no missed bits.

while you are working, have some small glass jars (such as fishpaste jars) filled with glyphosate concentrate. Immediately after cutting, bend over each of the stems coming from the ground and immerse it in the liquid for a few minutes. It will be drawn into the stem and kill the roots. If too difficult or thick, you can paint it on with a small soft artists brush, but work your way along the wall a couple of times before the stems dry out and callous over. I have used this method with great success. I think SBK will also do it. It is the stems coming from the ground you need to kill, not the ones going upwards.

my preference is to leave the top growth to wither and die before pulling it off. Some people say it is easier when fresh and green. I find that dead brown growth does not pull the mortar out, and remnants will eventually weather away.

check in 6 months to see if there is any regrowth, and treat it extra-generously with the glyphosate. It is no use pouring it on the ground, because it breaks down in contact with the soil, nor spraying the leaves, because they are hard and waxy and do not absorb it.

Nothing wrong with some plants growing up your wall but you definitely don't want ivy unless you love it so much you're willing to pay for fixing the wall, etc.
We have a climbing hydrangea which is rather fetching and things like honeysuckle/jasmine/clematis work well without causing damage. Climbing roses and wisteria are other options. You may want to put trellis or similar up then you can easily pull it all off later if you pick a plant that can't climb the wall unaided.

if you want to kill it, cut the stems a foot or two above ground level, and again six inches above that, and pull off the growth between, so you have a visible gap you can see to be clear with no missed bits.

while you are working, have some small glass jars (such as fishpaste jars) filled with glyphosate concentrate. Immediately after cutting, bend over each of the stems coming from the ground and immerse it in the liquid for a few minutes. It will be drawn into the stem and kill the roots. If too difficult or thick, you can paint it on with a small soft artists brush, but work your way along the wall a couple of times before the stems dry out and callous over. I have used this method with great success. I think SBK will also do it. It is the stems coming from the ground you need to kill, not the ones going upwards.

my preference is to leave the top growth to wither and die before pulling it off. Some people say it is easier when fresh and green. I find that dead brown growth does not pull the mortar out, and remnants will eventually weather away.

check in 6 months to see if there is any regrowth, and treat it extra-generously with the glyphosate. It is no use pouring it on the ground, because it breaks down in contact with the soil, nor spraying the leaves, because they are hard and waxy and do not absorb it.
You could also weedkill the ivy a couple of weeks before cutting the stems though it rather depends on the size of the plant.
I've got sections of ivy thicker than my arm and I have one specimen which is basically a tree, must be pushing 6". I have had to use my chainsaw on several trees to cut off a solid ring of ivy stems :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back