Jack Rafters; do they have to line up where they meet Hip ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am building a hipped roof. Do the jack rafters have to be opposite each other where they meet at the hip.

Reason I ask is I had meant them to but after putting one in and telling my mate 'they had to go in together' I popped to Gregs for some pasties. By the time I got back he had started put one in on the other side slightly offset from the first and perhaps stupidly I went with it rather than make him take it off. We have (by the end of today) only done one of 4 hips but I thought I'd better have a re-think before I take them all out and re do them.

Anyone reckon what we have done is ok ? I would normally put them in opposite each other but if I can get away without re-doing this hip it would be a plus. Have tried google but cant seem to find a difinitive answer.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can't see how it would be a problem, as Long as it's only slightly out? Will get lost by the time felt and battens are on.

And I take it your mates not a chippy? Lol schoolboy error

Thanks for the reply ... mate is a chippy as it goes. We have worked together for years but I am very price and he is inclined to take the easiest route to a solution shall we say.

Anyway, have since spoken to the roof designer and apparently they don't have to be adjacent at all. You can put them wherever. Happy days !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back