Jaguar 23/28 kW Combi Boiler - No Hot Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, having probed about in my Fantastic ;) Jaguar Boiler (I suppose it the same as comparing own brand baked beans against Heinz?)
Anyway, I think the problem is the diverter valve - either valve stuck or Diaphragm torn - as I can frig hot water start by manaully operating the microswitch - also no movement seen from the valve shaft on turing on the hot water tap. So, if my estimation is correct (sorry no manual) I need either a diaphragm repair kit or the whole valve assy.
Does anyone know what the part number is? Where to get one? (is it Protherm, is it Glow-worm???)
Next, how the hell to get it out without stripping the secondary heat exchanger out??
Help PLEASE.

Sponsored Links
Jaguar, protherm, glowworm, not much difference.
Bear in mind that when you order the valve, it will not come with washers/o-rings so you have work out what you need by trial and error.

Its probably the diaphragm has failed but there are also other aspects that might have caused this problem such as a seized up diverter valve or gland.

Tony

Hi there, I have a similar problem with my Jaguar 23Kw Boiler. Central heating works fine but boiler does not fire up when I turn the hot taps on.

How do I check the diverter valve? how do I check/ manually operate microswitch?

Boiler pressure was 1.4 but I increased this to 1.7 to see if it would have an effect but it didn't.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
@Sewerman > Did you ever resolve the issue with your boiler and if so, what was the issue in the end? Thanks.

You should really start your own thread.

To check the diverter remove the black plastic box attached to the right hand side. Run a hot tap and watch to see the silver pin move out. If it moves, check the microswitch (the black box) by sticking a match in the hole and see if the boiler fires up.

If the pin doesn't move it may be the diapragm split, weep tubes blocked, venturi on the inlet to the tubes blocked or the diverter seized. Check in that order.

If the microswicth it will be obvious. ;)

Hi there,

Thanks for the quick reply. Found the black plastic box on the right of the diverter valve.

Do I just unclip the cover from the black plastic box or is there a way to remove the box from the diverter entirely?

Thanks

it is held on by a black metal clip between the box and the valve, it just pulls off

Squeeze the click and pull box to right? Tried that but it doesn't seem to want to move? Should it really be that difficult to pull out? Am I not using enough force, do you think?

The clip slides out -try a small screwdriver to lever it off but it should move fairly easily :confused:

OK, thanks for that. Easy when you know how :)

Managed to remove the clip and the micro switch.

The pin does not move when I switch the hot tap on but the boiler fires up when tap is running. If I stick a match in the microswitch. The boiler then switched off when I remove the match.

Guess that tells me that valve is knackered and that the switch is OK.

This kind of makes sense as I think its been on the way out for a while. The boiler was fine when pressure was over 1bar but if it ever went below 1bar then water would drip from the valve. The lower the pressure the faster the drip but pressure the system back to 1.5 (or above 1bar) and after about an hour or two the drip would have stopped altogether.

Guess I need to find a plumber to replace the valve.

I think cover has to come off for that so I can image quite a big job? Cost of valve aside, do you have an idea on labour costs? I am based in West Yorkshire.

Thanks

The part number for the whole valve is 0020025304 and is about £200 !

Service kits are available for diapragm actuator, try abcot. Depends where the valve is leaking

Easy job will take one hour tops for a proper boiler engineer.

Worth doing rather than scrapping as all in all not a bad budget boiler.

BTW put an email address in your profile and I'll send the manual, unfortunately it doesn't cover this repair but may be useful for the future. ;)

Hi,

You can send it to [email protected]

I could order the whole valve and pay someone to fit it or I could spend £200 having someone to properly diagnose the problem and find out that I still need a new valve.

I will check the price of the diaphram service kits but will probably opt for buying and fitting a new valve.

Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

On that model it can usually be repaired.

In our local area we usually do that for about £107 or £127 depending on the exact cause.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back