Jammed upvc window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got a window that won’t open, despite the handle turning okay. My plan was to check whether the handles’ spindle is still engaged and if it is, to then use the Allen key technique to release the locking bolt:

Once I open this, what’s the long term resolution likely to be? Won’t it get stuck again? Do I lubricate it, etc.

I would welcome your thoughts on this.

Sponsored Links
Hi, can I please get your thoughts on the above. Thanks in advance.

Depends on why it wouldn't open, the spindle on the handle could be broken, the espag cam could be rounded off, or the espag could just need lubricating.

Get it open & see what the problem is. Window handles are cheap and easy to replace, as are most espags (if they are still being made), worst case there are universal ones that can be easily modified to fit.

Last edited:
Is the YouTube video I linked above the best way to get this open?
Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
I'd take the handle off first if you've not already done that, a broken handle or mashed espag cam could be ruled out or confirmed very easily, the video looks like it could help with moving the shootbolts if that's what's needed.

UPDATE: opened up the window using the technique described in the video. The issue is being caused by one of the shoot bolts malfunctioning. When you lock the handle (closed position) both shoot bolts push out as expected but when you open the handle, only one shoot bolt returns to its position. The other shoot bolt is still protruding. If I manually push the mushroom up for the offending shoot bolt, it returns to its closed position. Clearly this can’t be simulated when the window is closed during normal use. This is causing the window to jam.

Have sprayed it with WD40 but to no avail.I would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

I would appreciate any advice on the above situation please.

Here are some pics:
upload_2022-3-21_13-5-23.png

upload_2022-3-21_13-6-1.png

upload_2022-3-21_13-6-28.png

upload_2022-3-21_13-6-59.png

Hope that helps. Also, can the replacement espag be one that only uses the mushrooms and doesn't have the shootbolt? presumably, the length of the espag can also vary in that case, as I can move the catch to suit. I was thinking that the local hardware shop may not have an exact match.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back