Janus Circulator problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Janus circulator, attached to Johnson and starley wau.

Hotwater is only luke warm, heater is firing up and flow pipe gets boiling hot, but htr keeps cutting on / off, return pipe never gets hot...

The storage tank is a direct one (not sure of the make,but its a square one with the cistern cold feed attached to the side)

I've disconnected the pipes near the htr and checked for blockages, also checked the total lengths off both and they are clear. The ends that connect to the storage tank are also not blocked??

Are the heat exchangers prone to blocking in these? its about 20 years old.

any way to tell or unblock the heat exchanger (if thats the prob)

somebody also told me it could be a primatic tank? how would i know..

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I think it will be air. Look in the loft for a small tank (if you have one big and one small, its not Fortic). If you have a small tank, is it a 3rd full? How much horizonal pipework is between the Circulator and the Cylinder?

I take it you've not drained it recently?

hi, cheers, there is no cylinder, its a square type tank with a small cistern tank attached to the side, and its direct, not in-direct, so only the one cold feed tank.

its not been drained for years, but the return pipe is below the flow, so any air would be in the higher pipe from the janus heater?

there is only two mtrs off pipe from the janus heater and the hot water tank...

the flow and return pipe constantly rise from the htr, and enter the square copper hot water tank underneath.

Think it may be an old Elson Tank arrangment?? how do i know if this is a primatic arrangement too??

Sponsored Links
i did try that, but not for long... so would it just be an air lock thats causing it?

Not a blockage??

Is it a primatic system? The pipes (flow and return) just enter straight into the bottom of the square tank (elson tank?)..

I cant see into the tank as it too close to the roof !

right, i now know its an elson tank, and the problem could be nothing to do with the janus heater..

Is this elson tank direct or in - direct??

there are flow and return pipes that enter the bottom, cold feed tank is part of the elson tank, and there is no other in the loft or anywhere else..

so , how does the janus circulator fill with water? and how does the hot domestic water seperate from this water in the circulater? will it just mix? is that safe for the water to be mixed?

Thanks for previous replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back