Japanese Wineberries - I've bought the plants but don't know how to plant them!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've bought some Japanese Wineberries form Crocus. They have come in tall thin 2L pots (22cm tall). I want to plant them out into their permanent beds today but cannot find any info on how to do it....

Should I make holes large enough to accommodate the pots and then plant as per the pot size. Or should I gently tease the roots out and plant them more horizontally in trenches, as you would plant raspberries?

Any help would be fantastic as I want to make sure I get this right.

Huge thanks

Max

Sponsored Links
Absent any advice to the contrary, I'd not disturb the roots.

Thanks for the reply endecotp. I hear what you're saying and that was indeed my initial thought. But then I saw how long/tall and narrow the pots were, and from what I've read, the roots need to travel horizontally so that new canes can grow up along the "row". So, putting the plants in as per how they are now in their pots would go against this and the roots would all be facing down into the soil; as well as being quite deep.

I'm not arguing against your advice for a second, as I don't have a friggin clue! Just playing devil's advocate.

Here's the page on Crocus:

http://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/rubus-phoenicolasius-japanese-wineberry/classid.2000012851/

It says: "Plant canes 45cm (18in) apart in a trench 8cm (3in) deep, carefully spreading out the roots and backfilling with soil." But that seems to be just copied and pasted from the advice they give on how to plant bear root raspberry canes. I'll give Crocus a call in the morning, but when I've called them before they sometimes have not got back to me for several days so I won't be holding my breath!

Many thanks again

"Plant canes 45cm (18in) apart in a trench 8cm (3in) deep, carefully spreading out the roots and backfilling with soil."

Sounds pretty clear to me!

But that seems to be just copied and pasted from the advice they give on how to plant bear root raspberry canes.

Hmm.

Sponsored Links
OK. So I need to take the plant out of the pot, gently break up the compost and loosen the roots enough for them to be plant as described?

My partner fears that that would cause too much damage to the roots, but if that's what is needed I'll just have to be VERY CAREFUL and GENTLE!

Thanks for the replies.

Hi again

One other thing - should plant them out now or should I wait for this cold spell to pass? I'm in East Anglia....

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back