Pruning young privet grown from cuttings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have several fences that I want to replace with privet bush.

Without really knowing what I was doing I took some cuts from a friends established hedge last spring. I then put 8-10 of these in pots filled with compost and watered them until early autumn before planting them approx 20-25cm apart.

They have started well and are probably close to a foot tall now. I have some more that is 1 year further ahead that is about 3 foot high. Although they look good now, I'm concerned maybe I should have spaced them out a bit more? (probably a bit late to worry about that - unless I really ought to thin it out?)

I haven't pruned either to date, but from a bit of reading think they would benefit (grow thicker, and maybe even faster?)

There seems to be a lot of contradicting advice on when to prune and how much to take off (and most advice seems to be aimed at more established hedges than mine).

By the sounds of it, now is a pretty good time? Is that right? How much should I take off? Any advice is appreciated.

As I imagine is common, I would like it to grow as quickly as possible, but also want to make sure that it grows well enough to act a decent alternative to a fence.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back