JBONDING HELP PLEASE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
JB,

Please help :cry: I have just plastered 3 of the 4 walls in the new extension all ok up to know, BUT while i was cleaning up and using the old bags to put the ****e in i thgought i would read the instructions :(

Yes i know, it's like when you buy a new TV and you mess about with it for 4 hours then you get fed up and decide to read the instructions that came with it :)

Anyway, I PVA'd the walls like normal, Plastered away (Used Browning) I find it doesnt go off as quick as Bonding so better for me being a keen DIY'er and not a pro plasterer. On the bag it says "No suitable for use with a bonding agent" :oops: Have i cocked up by using the PVA ?

Please tell me the truth, Dont say it will be ok like the time i cocked up on the rendering :)

I tried another wall without the PVA and it was cracking like crazy... By the way, wall was virgin Thermolite..

Cheers JB

Mick.

Sponsored Links
browning is for high suction backgroungs so applying Pva will slow the suction down but i wouldnt worry aslong as you keyed it to take the finish :LOL: ;)

JB,

Remember a while back and there was a debate as to which would be the cheaper, Sand cement, plaster or dry lining ?

Well in my recent project, i used 8x4 plasterboards for the ceilings (12.5mm cost about £5.00 each) and i was thinking of using same for walls. I have to admit though, i am a hater of the hollow sound of drylined walls so i opted for good old fashioned traditional plaster.

Ok so it takes longer but price wise, i feel it is the cheaper option. Sand and cement may be a tad cheaper but Browning and bonding is a dam site lighter when plastering a full room (around 25 to 30 square meters) and its a little easier on the knackerd arm after a full day at it.

By the time you get the boards and the adhesive it works out a little more expensive than plaster. Is the only downfall the fact that plastering takes a lot longer ? And is drylining just a modern (cheaper labour) way of doing what a real plaster used to do ?

not trying to call you or anything, just after i had completed the room yesterday with browning and the walls were almost as flat as plasterboard it got me wondering..

Will skim up tonight, if my arm stops aching :LOL:

i dont think theres much difference in price either way, lets say you dab one board 8*4 and skim it. thats nearly 3m. depending on the thickness you need, will tell you how much browning or bonding you will use, how much browning? i dont know. the skill level goes up when your floating walls so unless you can do it its gonna cost . when can you decorate your floated walls? whats the chances of it cracking? whats the chances of it falling off? some of the advantages of d&d are you dont really have to worry about this. walls only sound hollow if you keep tapping them :LOL: you say it takes longer so there you go.drylining has been around for years and your average DIY person would give it a go but done wrong it looks crap so there is skill involved doing it right. the main advantage for drylining is the drying time. ;)

Sponsored Links
JB,

I can see your point. I have drylined in ther past for a friend who lived in a VERY old house where the plaster was 40mm thick at one side of the door way and 5mm the other :eek:

That looked the dogs dangly bits once i skimmed it, but personal preferance meant i didn't want to do it to my new extension.

I was planning on Sand & Cement for the old exterior wall that has now become the interior of the new room..

Mainly just in case there is a bit of damp there... Probably isn't but the BCO guy advised me to do that as well..

The browning was applied at 12mm and worked out about 3/4 of a bag to an area the size of a 8x4

I have already said it but i am very pleased with the finish... Not as in smooth (keyed for board finish) but as in flat as a board...

I find board finish also easier to work with rather than Multi. Is there a difference or just the same thing put in different bags to confused the novice even more :)

JB,

How long do you have to leave the render before painting ? Its been 2 weeks now.

It all looks pretty and dry, in fact if the rest of the house wasnt painted, i would leave it in its natural colour, looks quite a nice colour.

Cheers

Mick

Cheers JB

I'm going to have to learn how to plaster with bonding, the browning is ok but it isnt that hard is it ?

Should it leave a white powder on my hands if i rub it ? Never had this problem when i have used bonding for small area repairs in the past.

I am seriously thinking of going on one of these 3 day plastering courses. Are they any good or a waste of time ?

Cheers

Mick

Mick Leek said:
Cheers JB

I'm going to have to learn how to plaster with bonding, the browning is ok but it isnt that hard is it ?

Should it leave a white powder on my hands if i rub it ? Never had this problem when i have used bonding for small area repairs in the past.

I am seriously thinking of going on one of these 3 day plastering courses. Are they any good or a waste of time ?

Cheers

Mick

how much does a 3 day plastering course cost in Lao People's Democratic Republic :LOL: i dont think you will learn as much as you already know. what was the background you applied the browning to?

Come on JB are you paying attention :D

Look at the top of this post and you will see...

Twas Thermolite, or to be more exact "Tarmac Toplite" Simular to thermolite just a little more heavier.

I read the thistle website and they state "Browning" for use with light aerated block.

I get awesome results with my plastering, its just little bits i struggle with like getting the corners plumb. The walls themselves that i plaster are dead plumb and flat to the extent that dado rails can be stuck on without any hollows :D

I asked many moons ago about corner trowels "Twitchers" i beleive they are called but i was advised just to use the trowel. Dont know if this makes sense but i use a 14" x 5" marshalltown gold xtralight stainless steel float. It feels as if i should progress to something bigger ? Maybe the 16" one

Hard to explain but it feels as if i have rode a 500cc bike and now feel ready for the 750cc..

Would love to labour for a real p[laster for a few days just to see hows its done ....

Mick.

Well maybe not on a BIG job but how else would i get experience :D

I'm up for it if anyone wants to give me a go :)

Yes,

Its in a little suburb of a town called BLACKBURN, not 40 mins drive from manchester :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back