Skim plastering questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just filled an arched room opening with a stud wall and plasterboard. I have to skim the boards and match into the existing plaster a bonding undercoat which is around the edges of the opening.
In places I will have to skim more than one coat, because the thickness of plaster needed varies from 2mm - 7mm.
I'm intending to use multi-finish for the job, do I need to pva the existing bonding? Is it ok to build up skim coats and how long between skim coats?
I'd be very grateful for any suggestions or tips.

Sponsored Links
give the whole lot of it a coat of bonding to straighten it up and skim, its sometimes easier to skim the full wall rather than patch up. if the bonding has been left for a while a coat of pva will help control the suction.

Thanks for the advice, How long after the bonding coat before I can skim it?

a couple of hours should be sound make sure you provide a key for the finish with a float with nails pertruding.

Sponsored Links
can anyone advise me on how to get clean edges from wall and ceiling corners without using a corner trowel as this tends to leave lines :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back