skimming artex ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been plastering a lot of ceilings lately usually pva then bonding coat wait till dry this means going back the next day then pva two coats of skim.
The reason i do it this way is because i did a ceiling waited for the bonding coat to pick up to it took ages when i did skim the multi was going off but the bonding and artex was still moving causing it to rip and not trowel out.
Have spoken to a few mates they just apply pva then two thick coats of skim
The question is what do all the spreads out there do to finish a ceiling in a day ?

Sponsored Links
If you need to apply a bonding coat and want a flash set throw in a couple of trowells of hydrated lime in with the bonding... takes up loads faster, but not so fast as you cant get it on. Does no harm whatsoever, great for dubbing out the rounded parts of a vaulted ceiling before skimming also.

Pixie I was bonding over artex 12 years ago and ppl said I was mad!!! but thats the way to do it however the one place your going wrong mate is in using "Multi Finish" multi will always tend to peel on bonding. You need to get yourself some good old fashion "Carlite Thistle Finish" if you can get it not a lot of shops still stock it since multi has become so popular do to all the ****e cowboy plasterers who just dot and dab and havent got a clue what they are doing!
I usually mix myself a bucket consisting of 40% Browning and 60% Bonding mix it quite p**sy almost like you would mix finish PVA the celing once quite a rich mix, then litterally skim over the artex if done right it should be ready to skim after dinner. thats it Job done. Remember if the Artex has already been sealed by painting allow the PVA to sit just a while to go slightly tack.
Cheers
Paul

Each to their own but one thing with the lime in the bonding you will have a good half hour to spread a gauge , then it goes sharpish. If you bond the ceiling at 9 you will be skimming by 10.30.

Sponsored Links
its very rare i put bonding onto an artexed ceiling, it sounds like your not giving the pva a chance to dry before applying the bonding, remember bonding sticks to anything so if the artex is quite heavy you dont need to pva because the artex should have a good enough key. if its a slight stipple i would scrape of the snots pva twice and skim when the second coat is tacky and i mostly use board finish/multi. if its a heavy pattern i usually board straight over its quicker and less mess, your not waiting for bonding/pva to set and theres not not much difference in cost and the customers getting an extra half hour or hour fire protection and a little bit of sound insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back