Skim Over Painted Wall Not Taken.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
House I recently bought has textured paint or artex over nearly every wall / ceiling in the house.

As I've re-skimmed several rooms before in my old house I decided to get busy with this one. All was going well, two and half bedrooms done until I tackled one wall in the third bedroom. Same textured paint as all the others so as usual I scraped off what I could of the texture, PVA'd it about 2 parts water :1 part PVA and skimmed it to a nice finish. Two days later the new coat had dried but felt brittle in places. I picked off the loose bits as thought it might be a small area that hadn't taken but realised I could easily pick off the skim coat in huge pieces. Basically it hadn't adhered to the wall at all so I scraped it all off - it was very easy and re-tried a small portion of the wall with a stronger PVA solution 1/1 but again two days later it hadn't bonded again.

Its really puzzling me as I've completed two walls in the same room - same old textured paint backing etc and that feels nice and solid and well bonded. Its just this one wall that doesn't seem to want to play ball.

Does anyone know how I can tackle this - should I scrape the old paint off first back to the original plaster with a heat gun or use a bonding coat over the painted wall first - any help massively appreciated - thanks in advance.

PS - I'm using Thistle Multi-Finish plaster for skimming - browny/pink coloured and mixing well to a creamy reasonably wet consistency.

Sponsored Links
scratch the wall with a stanley knife to give a good key and pva again and reskim this might help.

Thanks jbonding - I have done this in preparation for my next try.

try using a little SBR rom your builders merchants....lot better than unibond and not water based.....add a little portland cement and leave too dry.................guarantee you it will stick like the preverbule

Sponsored Links
canusmellgas youve obviously never used SBR or you would know its used in sand and cement work.

as u can see unbond didnt work...............have you a suggestion...i think you will fine it works a treat over artex and the like with no shrinkage or slippadge from the substrate.............theres no substitute for experiance

it wasnt the pva that failed as was said "Its really puzzling me as I've completed two walls in the same room - same old textured paint backing etc and that feels nice and solid and well bonded. Its just this one wall that doesn't seem to want to play ball." maybe this wall had more suction,greasy,damp,dusty and less key, ie 1 coat of pva.

As already suggested I would hack it up a bit re-pva and give it another go, a coat of bonding may well help but in your situation it probably wont catch either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back