Jeep Cherokee hand brake

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Haven't come across this one before.....
On this vehicle, the handbrake cables are a fixed length, with no manual adjustment. The adjustment seems to be a rachetting slipper clutch mechanism (my description) on the handbrake lever itself.
On the car I have in today, the adjuster sometimes locks at 3 clicks (perfect) and sometimes almost travels to vertical before the parking brake operates.
Has anyone any experience of these...or do I need a new handbrake lever complete?
Thanks and good afternoon everyone
John :)

Sponsored Links
Never had the pleasure.

As you know the shoes are adjustable and there must be a ratchet and pawl in the handbrake handle? I cant see any replacement parts listed for the handle, only complete.

Interesting stuff ...................

The parking brake shoes are conventional, with the star turned adjuster to manually adjust - no problem there.
There's two handbrake cables (no adjustment) heading for the central console, where there is a compensator and a short single length of cable that winds into a sort of spring loaded drum......this is obviously meant to adjust the cable length.
Initially the ratchet - if thats what it is - grabbed the drum and I had the 3 click handbrake. The next time, the clutch slipped and the handle went nearly vertical before the brakes came on. More fiddling and 3 clicks came back, but a mile down the road I'm back to square one!
It seems to have a mind of its own!
Jeep people here had no idea, but a new handbrake lever is £156.
I just need to know if its knacked or not!

Sponsored Links
I've just spent an hour looking at boring forums about this wreck, and it seems that the original adjuster (clutch) is always playing up, and no 'manual' conversion is available.
When you tug the lever, the clutch should grip....but on this one it does when it feels like it! Pile of crap - worst design I've come across.
If it was mine I'd sharp rig something up, mind.....
Back to the punter - presumably a new handle will sort things out long enough to say bye - bye.
Not a bad vehicle otherwise, really.

As long as it doesn't slip when applied. Pity you cant make it solid and put a turn buckle on the cable?
Any of there?
http://ebay.eu/1aTsQql

An adjustable cable listed?
http://ebay.eu/1bCO9jN

People that buy these type of jeep, cant really afford the upkeep, a bit like Alfa owners. The cars ain't great, but even worse, they draw a very bad owner

If the car was mine Peter, I'd be doing just that - or something similar!
I'm not sure if I'm prepared to take the risk, and removing the lever involves taking out lots of the interior trim too.
I'll play it by ear!
Regards

Sponsored Links
Back