jeep grand cherokee td

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have trouble starting it.Once started i can start it every day no problems but if i leave it a week i have to crank it for a long time and most times till battery is dead.I have changed glow plugs.
It almost as if the fuel has drained out of engine and takes a age to get it back to the engine.Has any one else come across this problem.It is a 51 grand cherokee 3.1td thanks for any help peter

Sponsored Links
If its got a common rail engine its out of my range of experience but with IDI engines air leaks in the fuel system are a very common cause of this problem. The fuel filter housing can leak if not correctly fitted but a leak could anywhere from the tank to the pump. A section of clear plastic pipe just before the injection pump will show you if its air ingress.

Assuming there's no fuel visible in the engine bay / near the fuel lines / filter etc then it sounds like it might be a faulty injector leaking fuel.

The injector leaks fuel so the pressure in the fuel line / pump / injector system drops if the vehicle is left standing for any length of time. The continual cranking re-pressurises the system. (The fuel leaks back into the spill pipes so there's no visible fuel leak).

Go to a decent diesel (eg Bosch) garage and describe the symptoms it's a failry easy check (Diesel leak off test) to do if you've got the proper kit.

Once the fault's identified replacing the faulty injector(s) will cure it..

Sponsored Links
Back