JG Speedfit pipe question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a DIY'er I've decided to use JG Speedfit pipe and sundries for a plumbing project which includes both hot and potable water systems. (No Central Heating pipes involved) Looking for best prices on the internet I find many outlets only stocking the barrier pipe. I thought this was only for CH systems. Can I assume this is the only one they do now and is good for all systems. (hot, cold potable and CH)

Many thanks.....McCfuzz.

Sponsored Links
All PB/PEX barrier pipe does is stop O2 being drawn into the pipe. Most makes are fine to use on potable water, if in doubt just check it's WRAS approved.

If you are going to use JG or any other plastic, don't make the mistake of thinking 15mm plastic is equivalent to 15mm copper in terms of flow. Same for 22mm.

I read years ago how much "the restriction caused by the small diameter inserts was offset by the reduced friction of plastic", but my experience was that plastic can be the cause of poor flow.

If I had my time again when I used plastic and didn't have time to solder and check everything, I'd buy copper pipe and use plastic fittings or compression. Best of both worlds for DIYer in my humble view.

Later, you can swap connections to soldered copper if you feel like it.

Just a suggestion I'd have given myself 10 years ago.

Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back