Job done badly!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had my kitchen plastered.
I was told by friend the walls should be smooth like glass, but there not.
I've also had an independent plasterer come round to give me a second opinion! He said the whole job needs doing again, he said it was a really bad job
my guy said there is nothing wrong with it and once I've painted it it will look fine!
I really don't know what to do, he has just been round and I felt bullied into paying him! which has really upset me
I agreed to pay him if he put it in writing that once I've decorated, if i done like it he will fix it
Please help
Lena

Sponsored Links
Can you post some pictures? Plaster should be smooth, flat & reasonably true when you put a straight edge on it but your friend is wrong about the "like glass" finish. It’s a popular misconception but it’s a bad idea to “over polish” new plaster as paint won’t stick to it!

When you run your hand over it the wall is uneven, if you put a flat edge against it it is not flush!
Also there are parts of the wall that when you run your hand over it, it's like running your hand over sand paper!
I'm having difficulties adding my pictures, there are not very clear anyway!

You shouldn't have paid him. :rolleyes:.... If you're not happy with it now, and your independent plasterer guy said it was a really bad job, it's not going to get any better just because it's been painted. It happens a lot nowaday too, just because some of these people know how to put plaster ON a wall, they call themselves "a plasterer"... I wouldn't even let them wash out my buckets. :mad:

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
thank you, I did not pay him... even though he pushed for the cash! I came on the forum to check I was doing the right thing
What can i do about this? Is the a agency or 'body' that regulates this sort of stuff?

You certainly are doing the right thing. You should always say to the person responsible, that you're not happy with a job/product and point out the reasons why. Get a second opinion, which you did, give the person a chance to replace or repair, and if you're still not happy, seek advice from your local Trading Standards. Start asking them now!!, it wont do any harm. Know your rights, and what to do next. That might even panic him into action,,,hopefully. All the time you "hold onto the money", you have the upper hand........... If all else fails, come back and tell us, and we'll all come round and sort him out,,,, the b****r. ;)

Roughcaster.

a painter and decorator would flog a plasterer off the site if he 'shines up' the finish!

that said the finish needs to be blemish free and reasonably tight.

Get a reputable painter in to come and have a look at it, then get him to put in writing why he wont paint it..Then show that to your "Plaserer"(deliberate spelling ) as he doesn't deserve to be called a Plasterer!!!! Also have the back up of another plasterer and Trading Standards Officer...Let us all know the outcome....Even your local Citizens Advice Bureau will help you.....

Was away yesterday so didn’t get a chance to come back; it does sound as if your “plasterer” would be more at home on the set of a spaghetti western with his horse trigger; or was that Roy Rogers! :confused: Unfortunately there is no “agency or body” of which membership will guarantee work of this sort to even an “average” standard; even the regulated trades can’t guarantee it, they all have their cowboys & wanabe’s. :rolleyes:

The others have it well covered, follow their advice but it may be difficult to withhold payment unless you give him the chance to put it right to your satisfaction but if he won’t or can’t, don’t pay anything.

The sorry tale continues...
I asked a painter/ decorator (good friend) to come round, he said it's the worst job he's ever seen. He put some paint on the wall to show me how its gonna look. there are loads of areas that need rubbing down and filling!
We phoned the plasterer who said he would send someone round.
Since then he has text me demanding the cash and saying he's not sending anyone round. He's knocked £25 off for the poorly done celling as this is the worse area!
I've contacted Trading standards who have advised me to write to him
In the mean time I have to live in fear of him turning up when I'm on my own... (sounds pathetic but he's very intimidating and I'm not the most assertive of women!) or him taking me to court and all the while I can't do anything with my kitchen!
I feel so fed up I'm off back to bed!
Thanks everyone for your support... I'll keep you up dated

Don’t be intimidated, if he gets aggressive or violent he’s playing right into your hands as you can get the Police involved. Write to him as suggested by TS, pointing out exactly what’s wrong with the work, state that you have taken independent advice which confirms the work is not of an acceptable standard (get your friend to agree to back this if you can) & tell him you’ve informed TS. Give a date (10 days) by which you expect a reply stating a reasonably date by which he will rectify his faulty workmanship to your satisfaction. State in the letter that if he does not contact you within this time period, you will instruct someone else to rectify his poor workmanship, will not be paying him & may take steps to recover any additional costs you have as a result of his poor workmanship.

Don’t be intimidated, if he gets aggressive or violent he’s playing right into your hands as you can get the Police involved. Write to him as suggested by TS, pointing out exactly what’s wrong with the work, state that you have taken independent advice which confirms the work is not of an acceptable standard (get your friend to agree to back this if you can) & tell him you’ve informed TS. Give a date (10 days) by which you expect a reply stating a reasonably date by which he will rectify his faulty workmanship to your satisfaction. State in the letter that if he does not contact you within this time period, you will instruct someone else to rectify his poor workmanship, will not be paying him & may take steps to recover any additional costs you have as a result of his poor workmanship.

and send the letter recorded delivery or with some means of proving that royal mail actually delivered the letter to your "plasterer". Best of luck.

Quick update, letter in post... so we wait!
Thanks again to all that gave advice and support x

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back