John Cleese criticised for saying London is 'no longer an English city'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see notch is making things up again.

He will search in vain for the words "English" "Foreigners" or "Superiority" in the post he unsuccessfully attempts to quote.

Sponsored Links
Many people feel their local area has changed over the years and they may feel that the change is due to large numbers of foreign people moving into the area.
But why have a fear of or aversion to such change?

Its natural for the same groups of people to stick together, which brings a fear of 'others', especially where it may be felt that these 'other people' are invading their community.

That does not mean British people feel superior to newcomers. Sadly this attitude by remainers is very divisive, it just goes to show that anybody that raises concerns over immigration will be labelled zenophobic, by smug remainers.
Nothing to do with "smug remainers".

Everything to do with people being averse to others because they are foreign.

Everything to do with people fearing others because they are foreign.

Everything to do with people using terms like "invading".

I see notch is making things up again.

He will search in vain for the words "English" "Foreigners" or "Superiority" in the post he unsuccessfully attempts to quote.

Oh dear JohnD clearly has no evidence of the supposed 'superiority' claimed by Ellal.

I suppose its easier just to claim that every person with immigration concerns must be zenophobic.

Never let facts get in the way of stereotyping eh!

poor notch continues to make things up

and hallucinates that he sees the word "superiority" or "zenophobic" (sic) in my post.

poor, confused notch.

Sponsored Links
Oh dear JohnD clearly has no evidence of the supposed 'superiority' claimed by Ellal.
1) Why should Person B have evidence of something claimed by Person A?

2) Where is your evidence?

I suppose its easier just to claim that every person with immigration concerns must be zenophobic.
I don't know who would claim that. I've never seen any attempts to correlate immigration concerns and a fear of or aversion to a particular form of Buddhism.

Can you tell us where you've seen it?

abuse removed

Last edited by a moderator:
I did ask you where you get your definition from. You did not provide a source of your definitions. Indeed, throughout our discussion you failed to provide one single source of support for your version of the definition.
You will recall that I consistently supported my accepted definitions with evidence from estimable sources.

Just to reiterate
Phobia is a medical term, taken from the Greek phobos https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/explore/what-is-the-word-for-a-fear-of/

The Greek word phobos meaning "fear", "morbid fear" or "aversion" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophobia
You persistently concentrate on the "fear", or "morbid fear" parts of the definition, conveniently ignoring the "aversion" part of the definition.
"aversion" meaning (a person or thing that causes) a feeling of strong dislike https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/aversion

islamophobia is a conjunction of, obviously Islam and phobia (from the Greek word phobos) meaning aversion, (among other things) to Islam. It is not a conjunction of the word Islam, and the English medical term of "phobia".
Homophobia is a conjunction of homo and phobia, again meaning an aversion to gay people.

You cannot choose a part of the estimable definition, ignoring the rest of that definition, to make an intelligent argument. You must accept all parts of the definition, and apply it. In this case, "aversion" motivating prejudice and bigotry is applicable. A definition in common usage and pseudo-legal adoption does not have to meet all the criteria, just one part of the criteria is sufficient.
You seem to have lost track of the original dispute.

You maintain(ed) that the term 'phobia' also mean 'hatred' of and 'discrimination' against the various groups. This is not true despite the frequent usage.

Phobia is used medically for an irrational fear, causing panic attacks, of things which themselves are not fearful - claustrophobia etc.
If things are truly fearful then it is not a phobia anyway; just common sense.

My example of misogyny and gynophopia illustrates the difference clearly. Therefore gynophobia does not mean hatred of women.

Many people feel their local area has changed over the years and they may feel that the change is due to large numbers of foreign people moving into the area.

Its natural for the same groups of people to stick together, which brings a fear of 'others', especially where it may be felt that these 'other people' are invading their community.

That does not mean British people feel superior to newcomers.
Did you not spot the bit where I said...

"It's happening elsewhere of course"

Thus I wasn't talking just about Britain, but wherever/whenever human migration occurs :rolleyes:

It just so happens that our country is in the spotlight at this particular time...

Sadly this attitude by remainers is very divisive, it just goes to show that anybody that raises concerns over immigration will be labelled zenophobic, by smug remainers.
It's wasn't remainers who expressed migration/immigration as their major concern when voting out was it!

And it wasn't remainers who moaned about those coming in and allegedly 'taking their jobs' was it!

This country is indeed divided, but remainers weren't the ones who wanted it to be so!

does not mean

A word means what it is generally understood to mean.

Whether you like it or not is immaterial.

you might as well try to redirect the flow of a river by holding up a traffic sign.

More accurately:

A word means what it is generally misunderstood to mean.

So, no attempts should be made to correct the thickos or those with an agenda.

Trump rules.

What a sad state of affairs the English speaking world is in.

But why have a fear of or aversion to such change

Oh dear, once again you have interpreted what I wrote and then translated it as though it is fact.

Why would you assume I have a fear or aversion to change?

Nothing to do with "smug remainers".

Everything to do with people being averse to others because they are foreign.

Everything to do with people fearing others because they are foreign.

Everything to do with people using terms like "invading

Oh look another example of a remainer making pre judgements without fact.

I said many people have concerns about changes to their community and concerns about immigration levels.

BAS interprets that as 'fear of foreigners', or foreigners are invading'

Yup a clear example of bigotry.

Remainers think they arent divisive, clearly they are (y)

When history shows what fools JD et al are,it will be to late ,our greatgrankids will be forced to swear allegiance to the Koran
Hilarious, the latest Muslim basher posts and article that is almost 10 years old. "time bomb...blah blah..." Should have exploded by now. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back