Johnson & Starley Room Stat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You people have already helped me repair our shower and fit a new heating element to our oven since we bought our first house 2 years ago.
Now I have another problem :D I've just tried our central heating system (Johnson & Starley J32 E-T) to make sure it's working ready for the imminent cold weather and it looks like the room stat has died over the summer. It doesn't click when it's turned from min to max.
I've found the part number and priced a replacement but can anyone tell me how easy it is to replace?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If its a standard stat then it probably is only 2 wire and 24volt. Just because you hear no click doesn't mean its not working. Better off testing for continuity of the stat b4 fitting a new one and still having the same fault.

Be aware that most WAUs do not start their fan until the unit is warm.

Are you sure the gas does not light when you turn up the stat?

It could also be a fault at the WAU ! Is the pilot light burning? Thats if it has one!

Tony

The pilot is alight as it heats the water too but the gas doesn't light when the stat is turned up.

Sponsored Links
Often water heating is by a seperate unit to the side of the WAU.

The J&S WAU do not have a conventional on/off stat like most heating systems. To Quote J&S its a "Thermista - stat" which is constantly telling the boiler how hot it is, rather than ON Iam cold OFF Iam hot. therefore it will not click as you turn it up and down.

Also you will notice that it is not calibrated in degrees on the face, it is marked 1- 7 (Ithink) so you set the room temperature to your comfort level rather than a so called set temperature.

Also as Agile said you have two heaters in one box The WAU on the left With the water heater set back on the right.

I would check you can see the pilot for the WAU through the spy glass on the left hand unit.

If no pilot light it and all should be ok if pilot is on call a Registered Gas Instasller.

If it is over 12 months sense it was last serviced, being an open flue unit get it serviced before cold weather sets in.

David

dave18";p="2151888 said:
The J&S WAU do not have a conventional on/off stat like most heating systems. To Quote J&S its a "Thermista - stat" which is constantly telling the boiler how hot it is, rather than ON Iam cold OFF Iam hot. therefore it will not click as you turn it up and down.

Thats if he has a modulating unit. The older units like the j25-32 had a standard 24v on/off stat. There is also no guarantee that the unit will have a permanent pilot or indeed that it is an open flued appliance. (Although the open flued ones vastly outnumber the room sealed variants)

boabcelt.

if you care to read the post by Twomarks, He clearly states that he has a J&S J32 E-T.

If you care to look at the J & S instruction book for this model I think you will find that it is an open flue model with a permanent pilot light.

Also the J32 E-T has the "thermista - stat" as standard.

My advise in my previous post still stands.

David.

boabcelt.

if you care to read the post by Twomarks, He clearly states that he has a J&S J32 E-T.

If you care to look at the J & S instruction book for this model I think you will find that it is an open flue model with a permanent pilot light.

David.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

just bridge your thermistor out first to make sure that is the fault.

Thermistors dont click

Also you will notice that it is not calibrated in degrees on the face, it is marked 1- 7 (Ithink) so you set the room temperature to your comfort level rather than a so called set temperature.

Also as Agile said you have two heaters in one box The WAU on the left With the water heater set back on the right.

I would check you can see the pilot for the WAU through the spy glass on the left hand unit.

If no pilot light it and all should be ok if pilot is on call a Registered Gas Instasller.

If it is over 12 months sense it was last serviced, being an open flue unit get it serviced before cold weather sets in.

David

Thanks everyone. We had our gas meter moved earlier this year so the gas was off for a few days. The engineer said he'd relit the pilot lights. On checking (once I knew the unit had 2 pilots not 1) I discovered that the WAU pilot light wasn't on :rolleyes: After a quick check of the instructions from the J&S website it relit first time.

You guys are amazing, thanks so much.

boabcelt.

David.

:oops: My apologies! I guess that teaches me to read the thread properly from the beginning!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back