Join 2 PIR lights together so either sensor sets it off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a PIR enabled lantern shaped light in my porch which is connected to another normal light on the front of the garage. When the PIR activates both lights come on.
I need to replace the light on the garage side and have a spare lantern light (same as the one in my porch).

How would I wire these so either sensor would set off both lights and would there be any problems?

Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
I am not an electrician and don't have the time to draw a diagram, but I suspect that you will need to use 4 core cable to link the two L1 connectors.

I am not an electrician and don't have the time to draw a diagram, but I suspect that you will need to use 4 core cable to link the two L1 connectors.
That shouldn't be necessary. Provided that both PIRs have S/L 'outputs' available, just 3-core between the PIRs should suffice (and only 2-core feeding them, unless a 'central over-ride' was wanted).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It depends on how the PIR works, with stand alone never had a problem, but with some built in the solid state unit is affected by a supply to the output, I think it uses a small amount of current through the unit to power the unit, so if power to both input and output it has no power to work it.

It depends on how the PIR works, with stand alone never had a problem, but with some built in the solid state unit is affected by a supply to the output,
As I said ....
..... Provided that both PIRs have S/L 'outputs' available, ...
... and I obviously meant S/L outputs at LV.

In the days when the lamps/bulbs in these things were LV ("230V") ones, the electronics (inevitably powered by ELV) had to switch the 230V (either with a relay or triac), and that 'switched 230V' could be (and often was) made available for connection to other things. However, when the light is coming from LED element(s), it makes no real sense for the (ELV-powered) PIR to switch 230V and then convert that to ELV for the LED elements - so a 'switched 230V' is often/usually not available.

Kind Regards, John

Thankyou everyone. I am going to take a look at this at the weekend.

That shouldn't be necessary. Provided that both PIRs have S/L 'outputs' available, just 3-core between the PIRs should suffice (and only 2-core feeding them, unless a 'central over-ride' was wanted).

Kind Regards, John

Based on my understanding of the OPs question, the PIRs seem to be built in to the lamps.

Wouldn't those lamps have earth, neutral, perm live and (pir) switched live?

If second PIR lamp were to come on, wouldn't it need a feed from the PIR connector to run to the same fitting on the second PIR lamp?

I am willing to bow to your superior knowledge, but it would help me, and possibly the OP if you could draw a diagram that will allow two lamps with integrated PIRs to turn on simultaneously.

Many thanks.

Based on my understanding of the OPs question, the PIRs seem to be built in to the lamps.

Yes, somewhere but sometimes integral fittings do not easily allow access to the switched live.

If second PIR lamp were to come on, wouldn't it need a feed from the PIR connector to run to the same fitting on the second PIR lamp?
Yes.

I am willing to bow to your superior knowledge, but it would help me, and possibly the OP if you could draw a diagram that will allow two lamps with integrated PIRs to turn on simultaneously.
Well, you just need to connect the two lamps' line(live) terminals (i.e. the switched live) - but if you cant get at them...

1687549732659.png

EFL's diagram is perfectly correct. That's the way I would do it. If all the wiring is inside, you can use a single core cable. If the cable is outside, replace with 3 core + earth.

If you mean "built into the fittings" (not the lamps/'bulbs'), then that is also my understanding.
Certainly neutral and perm live, and possibly 'earth'(unless Class II). As for 'switched live', that may or may not be available - as I recently wrote to eric, they increasingly do not have 'switched lives' available, because many (most?) integrated units with LEDs do not 'switch' 230V. If that is the case, then it is not possible to use the PIR in one to control anything else.
As above, with many LED ones, it might not be possible at all. However, if there is a PIR-switched (230V) live available, than that could simply be connected to another light, or the corresponding terminal on a similar fitting -hence still only 3-cores (N, Land S/L, maybe plus 'earth') between the two fitting
I would happily have done so, but EFLI has beaten me to it ;) ... it the situation clear to you from that diagram?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back