joing old roughcast to new render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a tyrolean finished house down to about 10 courses of bricks at the bottom, the bricks are discoloured and damaged/repaired in places and I want to smooth render over them, whats the best way of getting a really good looking join between the two finishes. existing and new. photo in my album[/img]

Sponsored Links
Is there a beading where the Tyrolean ends or does it just stop at the red bricks? Most wall finishes would normally finish with a bell cast or stop bead. Be careful though, because if you plan to render up too the tyrolean, don't bridge the damp course. I did look at the photo in your album.

Roughcaster.

Hi
thanks for looking at the photo and your response, the problem is the join between the brick and the tyrolean, the damp course is 9 courses below this and is not an issue as I intend to paint below the DPC, I have an idea to use some sort of beading, upside down stop bead????, this will cause a problem matching in because the two materials are flush I will have a ridge, I need ideas as to how to create a feature at this point, any ideas?
thanks again, I can post more photos if this helps

Very difficult to know what to do for the best Chris, because as you say you will have a ridge using the bead that way, and that would cause water to lay on the ridge, and maybe go down behind the "upside down" bead, plus I dont think it would look very good overall.Just a pity they never finished the job properly with a bead. It would be great if you could fit a bell-cast bead further down, even down at the DPC level, then carefully scratch coat and render back up to the join blending it in, and then tyrolean,,,, but you would see it. It's all but impossible to patch/join a rough surface...

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Roughcaster, you've echoed my own concerns, I just hope somebody with a little more dsign flair than myself can come up with a neat and foolproof suggestion.
Would you consider a drip bead carefully chased in on the join line and rendered under would look ok? I believe coloured bead is available which I could use as a break/contrast point.
Anybody ever done anything like this? if so how did it look?
Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back