Joining a Foundation to a Neighbours Property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just looking for a bit of advice, I’m starting a strip foundation on the boundary of my property for a single storey wall as part of a conservatory. The wall will sit aside my neighbours extension and gap to it by about 70mm. When it comes to the foundations, I’m pretty sure they’ll be next to each other. Do I look to separate them somehow (I.e. a DPM or similar) so the concrete doesn’t bond to my neighbours foundations or should I let the concrete bond to my neighbours foundations and will this be a problem if there is any ground movement after pouring the concrete?

Sponsored Links
Hi

Just looking for a bit of advice, I’m starting a strip foundation on the boundary of my property for a single storey wall as part of a conservatory. The wall will sit aside my neighbours extension and gap to it by about 70mm. When it comes to the foundations, I’m pretty sure they’ll be next to each other. Do I look to separate them somehow (I.e. a DPM or similar) so the concrete doesn’t bond to my neighbours foundations or should I let the concrete bond to my neighbours foundations and will this be a problem if there is any ground movement after pouring the concrete?
If you can, keep them separate. You can do this with a slice of cheap polystyrene insulation.

Your neighbours may want to demolish and rip out their footings in the future.(y)

Polythene
I have found that it has a mind of its own and doesn't like the wind, the concrete pump or anybody going anywhere near it. Some cheap 50mm sheet does behave itself and requires less babysitting.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Need to make sure you don't undermine his foundations! while you are digging yours.

Thanks all for your replies, I had t considered what would happen if the neighbour needed to demolish their extension…good advice indeed. Have thought about an extension but I think it would block out a lot of light from out property.

Another query if anyone can help, when I lay the foundations I think I’ll struggle to get the width as per buildings regs for our soil type and keep the wall central on the foundation. The neighbours extension sits almost on the boundary so I’d wager their foundations will come up to the boundary. Is there any risk in building the wall on one side of the foundation considering it’ll be tied to the existing house with a wall plate and have a return at the end going back 5m?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back