Joining new extension wall to existing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing a wrap around extension with 2 storey on the back. I want to remove the return wall on the first floor till where the new wall butts in. How to ensure that the new wall and the existing wall are structurally connected. Do you guys see any compromise on the structural stability. My Structural engineer has not highlighted anything on how these walls need to be connected. Am i have any issues here?

upload_2021-8-7_13-16-45.png

Sponsored Links
The goal posts are taking the load. There is a “house of cards” risk if too many of the cross bracing walls are removed above the steel works.

but from your diagram it’s impossible to know what wall you are talking about removing.

Attaching the basic ACAD 3D file of my house plan. Red (New), Green (To be removed). I'm looking for some advise on how the new wall will be tied into the existing cavity wall on the first floor. Also, my structural engineer have given 152x152 UC for all steel beams. I feel he's very competent SE, however, he says the builders will take care of the wall connections. I'm doubtful on how this connection will be made and worried if there will be any stability issues? Any expert advice will give my confidence.

Attachments

• house_3D_Basic1.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 128
Sponsored Links
The builder will use a wall starter plate, which frame fixes/bolts to the existing wall. It has plates/wires/hooks on the other side that are mortared in on the new wall. The outer join is usually mastic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back