Joining new plasterboard to old

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have had to replace some plasterboard in our attic conversion, unfortunately the old plasterboard is skimmed over and I can't put scrim tape where the old meets the new otherwise there will be a lump on the join.

What is the best way of joining the old to the new so it won't crack, is there some sort of flexible filler available for this sort of job?

Thanks
Jim

Sponsored Links
i think it would be easier to scrim the join and feather out the difference bonding.

Then reskim the lot unless, its a big ceiling of course... i think it would be easier than messing about fading the new skim coat into the old, and give a better overall finish.

My 2 pennies worth anyway :cool:

Sponsored Links
Is the p/board both the same size? Obviously the one you are butting up to will be a bit thicker if it has skim on it .What I generally do in these circumstances is, measure 1"-2" from edge of old board and run a stanely knife down the length of it ,making sure that it cuts in the board about 4mm (depending on thickness of skim) then score away from the line to the edge of the board in little diamond patterns then remove all the "scored bits of board.,it doesn't matter if you cut down into the board and the paper comes off. When you have done this you can but your new board up to it and then you can put your scrim tape on it, but make sure you put some neat unibond on to the old cut area before you scrim it .It will be best to use 4" scrim tape if you cut back more than an inch... ;)

If you look in my album "Floor, wall roof repairs" images no's 57,58, 59, 60, you will see what I mean...

thanks for info. As much as I'd love to, I won't have time to do either of those options as we need to move up there asap due to losing half the house to the builders.
Its only a tidy-up job until I get time next year to rip the lot out and start again.
Would using a good quality powder filler be better on the joints and then skim up to this or is there some better product?

if its that much of a temp bodge up till you rip it down, i wouldnt do anything at all, hardly worth it.. however if you want to do something you could use easy fill i guess

thanks everyone for the advise. I'm just going to get some easi-fill and hope for the best. like I said it should only be for a year

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back