Joining reclaimed scaffold boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I want to edge glue the two boards in the pics to make a small desk but the edges aren't quite flush. I have an electric planer and sander but not a jointer or router. Short of being able to buy or borrow one of those, is there anything people could suggest?

Cheers

Attachments

• 20200524_125436.jpg
    20200524_125436.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 404
  • 20200524_125425.jpg
    20200524_125425.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 388
  • 20200524_125357.jpg
    20200524_125357.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 378
Sponsored Links
Got a table saw?

Nope!

Woodworking noob so very limited equipment and trying to work out if there's anything I can do with stuff that's not too expensive to buy. More in hope that expectation...

Sponsored Links
Plane the sides, make a jig, drill 8mm holes along edges and glue with dowels.

Cheers. Will give the planning a shot - would I better trying with a manual rather than electric plane?

You can buy an Irwin Record No4 smoothing plane from screwfix for about £25 quid.
When working with wood, always start with hand tools. It gives you more of an appreciation of the material you are working with.
Plus its a lot safer.

To plane that by hand you really need a good sharp planer.
Electric is safe and precise.
Watch a few videos online, it's one of the easiest and safer tools to use.

Make a simple jig yourself.
2 pieces of 18mm plywood with an 8mm hole set on the correct position.
Then drill the boards.
Make sure you drill both of them face up or down, otherwise they won't align perfectly.

Or buy yourself a router (variable speed) and some good bits. You can use the router to give a good square edge and then again to cut slots for biscuits (hence variable speed router for large diameter bit). Whatever you do, remeber to aligned the boards so any potential cupping is in opposite directions

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back