Sufficient fire board around steels???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm boxing in three steels that all run parallel to one another with some reclaimed oak floor boards. On one side I constructed an "L" shape out of two oak boards joined along the long edge with 90 degree angles. Inside of this I fitted fire board. I then screwed these clips from Cooper B line

http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...fasteners_NA/Beams-UniversalBeamFasteners.pdf

on the fire board and through into the oak floorboard. I then lifted this (heavy!) into position used a big pair of G clamps to push the clips over the steel and it fits lovely.

However, on the other side I had to fit the bottom piece first (using the same method) and then add the side (because the stairs were in the way). Due to the reclaimed oak not being particularly strainght and me not measuring particularly well I hadn't left enough over hang on the bottom piece, consequently in order to align the outside edge of the side piece of oak floorbaord with the edge of the bottom piece of oak floorboard there was insufficient room for the fire board at the side of the bottom flange of the steel beam - see diagram.

Is this ok for BC to sign off? If not, is there anyway I can rectify the issue without taking the oak down - those clips aren't designed to come off!!!

Cheers

Shane

Sponsored Links
I'm boxing in three steels that all run parallel to one another with some reclaimed oak floor boards. On one side I constructed an "L" shape out of two oak boards joined along the long edge with 90 degree angles. Inside of this I fitted fire board. I then screwed these clips from Cooper B line

http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...fasteners_NA/Beams-UniversalBeamFasteners.pdf

on the fire board and through into the oak floorboard. I then lifted this (heavy!) into position used a big pair of G clamps to push the clips over the steel and it fits lovely.

However, on the other side I had to fit the bottom piece first (using the same method) and then add the side (because the stairs were in the way). Due to the reclaimed oak not being particularly strainght and me not measuring particularly well I hadn't left enough over hang on the bottom piece, consequently in order to align the outside edge of the side piece of oak floorbaord with the edge of the bottom piece of oak floorboard there was insufficient room for the fire board at the side of the bottom flange of the steel beam - see diagram.

Is this ok for BC to sign off? If not, is there anyway I can rectify the issue without taking the oak down - those clips aren't designed to come off!!!

Cheers

Shane

When it comes to signing it off, how will Building Control know what is under the oak boards in any case? Either they will take your word for it or you'll be removing stuff in any case for them to have a look.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back