Joining Tarpaulins for a Geodesic Dome

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,
I have a project this summer - a geodesic dome. The frame isn't a problem - PVC piping and DIY connectors seems to suit my needs, however, the waterproofing is a rather larger problem.
The dome has a diameter of 7 meters, so rather large, and the covering will be suspended inside the frame, so I need a very large, perfectly shaped and waterproof cover for it.
I intend to cut out the basic net for the covering in 6 parts, so I need some method of joining these sections of 200 gsm / 6oz tarpaulin into one dome. The joins I need to make are 2 meters long, and obviously have to be strong enough to withstand some considerable tension from the suspension.

My question is this: Does anyone know an inexpensive method of joining these tarps together which will also be strong and waterproof?

It's a tall order I know, but thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Mebbe they could be stapeled and then hot pitch poured over the joint.
:idea:

I'd have thought either some sort of adhesive, or sewing a double lapped joint (probably with some sort of strengthening tape) with a sewing machine.
What do the manufacturer's or suppliers suggest?
Also you could ask a sailmaker what to do?

Sponsored Links
How about speaking with some advertising banner makers/sign writers, often see large banners with joins in them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back