Joining the boiler discharge pipe and condensate pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I am repainting the wall where the condensate and discharge pipes come out and wanted to know if I can join them together on the outside?

The plan is to use the existing condensate pipe (22mm?) and a T onto it for the discharge.

The discharge dribbles like an old man - not wet but enough to leave a stain hence the want to run it down into the drain.

Can I do this and not cause any issues / breach of regs / kill something?

thanks
C

Sponsored Links
your discharge pipe shouldn't be dribbling like that , your pressure relief is letting by so i would get it looked at

Both can terminate over a drain but they need to be separate. Your discharge should not have any water dribbling out unless there is a fault.

The condense should be 1.25 inch pushfit to stop it freezing up

The condensate is part of the flue system and as such should only be modified by qualified persons. It's generally not permitted to tee them together anyway. Why not get the problem fixed and stop it discharging rather than trying to hide it?

Sponsored Links
Apologies folks, I did not see the replies.

Ok, post was a bit misleading now that I read it back. It's not the discharge which is dibbling. It looks like it might have once of twice but that could have been during the install a year ago. It's certainly not wet now.

The condensate is obviously always dripping. I have just changed (Extended them down with new pipe and fixtures) the two pipes to be a bit neater. All looks well now

Thanks for the tips.

Very naughty if you changed the condensate yourself you have to be qualified to touch
any part of the flue system,you've just left yourself open to prosecution.

Very naughty if you changed the condensate yourself you have to be qualified to touch

After the condensate trap surely it is part of the drainage.

Genuine question - not being a smarta55 -

I replaced the pipe on the outside of the wall after the elbow. It's now the same pipe, just newer :) Would this be considered illegal?

When it comes to things like the flue or gas side itself then I would not bother trying.

Unfortunately you fall foul of the regs because the condensate is considered part of the combustion process of the boiler. Is it illegal, technically it is DIY gas work and it should be checked by a GSR.
As @BigSnoopy01 mentions though, if the condensate is out through the wall though then it should be up a size (32mm - check the MI) as it enters the wall out to it's termination and should then be fed into a lime soakaway (sounds like a most excellent drink :)) set into the soil, condensate can and will eat mortar.

So after the condensate pipe has exited the boiler, and joined a waste pipe, and gone into a drain, at which point do you think it stops being a protected boiler component?

Thanks for the clarification.
Well, it's a 23mm pipe and is mostly outdoors. Guess this will need addressing then as we enter winter.

It runs into a concrete gully drain. As the previous so-and-so let it dip onto the galvanised grate it's eaten that and rusted it nicely - more effort needed. :(

In the future I will get any work done to be explained here first by the person himself... :)

So after the condensate pipe has exited the boiler, and joined a waste pipe, and gone into a drain, at which point do you think it stops being a protected boiler component?
Unfortunately I think it's one of those grey areas TBF, would anyone be shot for it though, wouldn't think so.
Once it's enters the general vented waste system then I would consider it outwith. @Terrywookfit has a point though, after the condensate trap could be seen as the break point.
My thoughts are though, if the seal was ever lost, then POC would need to dissipate through the vented waste or to outside, any breached joint during any work on that pipework could then become an issue. I would also always quickly check any waste I was connecting the condensate to, to ensure it's appropriate. The MI's usually have specific requirements for through the wall and it is considered part of the combustion process ..... as always tho with gas better safe than sorry IMO

I might actually call the boys in yellow and black tomorrow and ask their opinion.

After the condensate trap would be the ideal cut off point. It is a grey area,another cut off Point would be were the 22mm goes into the 32mm pipe that is the most probable point at which
it becomes drainage.Sorry but I don't make the rules but I do stick to them.Bob

The tundish is not room sealed, by design it is open to the air. Therefore the sealed combustion chamber cannot extend beyond the tundish.

( There are tundishes that are inside a sealed transparent tube but seldom if ever are these used in domestic situations )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back