Joining two dissimiliar walls.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently quoting for a job and would appreciate any ideas.
A customer has asked me to give him a quote for a garden wall to be built to fill in a space to make the garden more private and secure. At the moment there is a tall red brick wall at the rear of the garden that is situated on a slope. Its base is roughly level with the top of a lower wall which is of grey brick and will need building higher by at least 3 1/2 feet to give a wall that abuts the red brick wall (90* junction).
My only real concern here is the junction between the two walls i.e. grey going onto red, firstly different colours and secondly the joints probably don't line up and I don't want a course of pig.. I'm a little worried that it could look "wrong" or at least not very asthetic . What do I do to lessen the impact? It is a 9" wall and I had considered forming a shadow gap at the join but I am open to other ideas.
Both walls are in their own right large enough to rule out replacment or rendering and I'm also supplying a quote to do it in timber so that route is covered.

Sponsored Links
thanks for that but perhaps i didnt make myself clear. Im looking for ideas that would make the junction between two different coloured and textured walls look more pleasing to the eye than a simple butted up joint.
I had planned to use metal fixings anyway.

You could build the corner from stone and bond in the new wall to it.
That way you wouldn't see the difference in the joints and the colours wouldn't show up so much.
The stonework can still be bonded to the old work with the ties.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the idea. I've spent most of my life as a joiner and there is an old saying that if you can't hide a joint then make a feature of it so I think your idea is along the right lines.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back