Joining two flats - sort off.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just looking for any advice and tips. I am thinking of living in 2 flats as if it was one house (the house was previously split into 2 flats).

Now, I am happy to officially keep it as 2 flats (separate electrics/gas/etc - because i ) but was wondering if anyone knows of any other issues I might face - such as regulations! The only joining bit would be the stairs partition which would become a bannister again.

Cheers for the help!
Garv

Sponsored Links
Services would be the first problem as your only allowed on entry per property.

It maybe that that is the case if it was a multi-occupancy building, but if for example you have two gas supplies into the building then one would have to go.

Hmmm...But surely if still 2 flats exist (dual status) then 2 would be fine - i mean all bills are being paid as well as council taxes!

It would still be 2 flats..

But would you be paying two community charges, two services etc.

That would be
2 water bills.
2 waste bills.
2 gas bills.
2 electric bills.
2 community charges.
2 insurances.

Plus if you keep them as separate units, 2 gas safety certs (llgc)

Sponsored Links
You would be removing the fire barrier between two dwellings which would be a contravention of building regulations.

Also in insurance terms you would be insuring two dwellings but they woudln't be separated. This would be a material fact which would have to be declared.

In terms of services, if upstairs and downstairs are on separate phases then you would have 415V in the building and would have to be careful not to get separate phases mixed, eg in the stair light switches.

I would keep all bills etc separate with the exception of buildings insurance (i would declare it).

However, the fire barrier could be an issue - I guess I could use a door but it wouldn't feel the same...

Yeah, only planning on staying here for 3 years before moving out of the 'burbs - and the value will probably be higher if I leave it as is!

this is an example of regulations and common sense not meeting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back