Jointing coax cctv cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve done a search for this to 10 pages and can’t find anything but forgive me if it’s been covered.

Due to works on the house I am having to do something with my cctv cameras. For 2 of them it is going to be easier to cut the cable and re join. It is the mini coax with shotgun power alongside.

What is the best method of making sure I reduce the likelihood of picture problems due to the joint. (It will be outside) best method of making a good connection etc

Suggestions would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Buy some proper F connectors and barrel together for the coax and maybe some wago connectors for the power then house in a waterproof rated outside junction box.

Me personally I would rerun the whole cable new, it is not expensive to buy lengths of the cable.

I’ve done a search for this to 10 pages and can’t find anything but forgive me if it’s been covered.

Due to works on the house I am having to do something with my cctv cameras. For 2 of them it is going to be easier to cut the cable and re join. It is the mini coax with shotgun power alongside.

What is the best method of making sure I reduce the likelihood of picture problems due to the joint. (It will be outside) best method of making a good connection etc

Suggestions would be appreciated
check what size of cable the coax is probably RG56. buy the appropriate compression f connectors, compression tool and a barrel. prep he cable ends, buy a coax stripper if your not confident with a knife. push the braiding back down and make sure no braid is in contact with the copper stinger. use a spanner to make a tight and secure connection on the barrel, water proof box and I'd use jelly crimps for the 12v

Sponsored Links
And being as it's outside, before you slide the F-connector on you should slide a length of heatshink over both ends, a short piece and a long piece. Make your connection, then shrink the short piece then long piece over the joint. Or use self-amalgamating tape. Or both.

Nozzle

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back