Camera Re-Location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have four cctv cameras on premises and one of these needs moving asap.

Whilst stripping some of the taping the installers used to cover twisted wire connecting, one of the joints came apart.
Joined it back again and now three camera's have been knocked out.

The cable needs extending. I have some cable (I think) and could probably do the extension myself.

But first is there any way of bringing the other 3 cameras back online?
Do they normally go off if a wire is disconnected and then re joined?

The buttons on the digital reecorder box don't work. Installers were meant to come back and fix that, so any method here is a non starter.

Sponsored Links
The wires are signal wires I assume. Not power wires.

No wires were crossed in any case. Just one disconnected.
One camera still works. Three knocked out.

The wires are signal wires I assume. Not power wires.
How do the cameras get their power ?

What type of cable was it that you disconnected ? Twisted pair or coaxial.
?

If the cameras are powered by mains local to each camera and the O volt ( ground ) side of the signal cable is disconnected with the signal side still connected it is possible the output stage of the camera will suffer damage from transient voltages on the still connected signal line.

Sponsored Links
The buttons on the digital reecorder box don't work. Installers were meant to come back and fix that, so any method here is a non starter.

With installers just twisting wires and taping them, you don't want them back.

With installers just twisting wires and taping them, you don't want them back.

Yes. I agree. The overall installation is pretty shoddy.

There are two thicker wires I didn't dis-connect so I think those are the power wires.

Sounds very much like a blown fuse, it only takes the slightest surge to blow a fast blowing fuse, the other day I changed a zone on my alarm and blew a fuse when just reconnecting it. Next time full power off for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back