Camera OSD through coax?

Suit yourself, you clearly know best.

nope - never claimed to. Thats why I asked the question "I was wondering if the OSD menu can be controlled in the same way?"

The cost of the cameras I've used before IS irrelevant. I only mention them this is what I have done before. Doing it using the camera joystick and viewing via iphone, and walking 10m back to the DVR to see larger image/recordings is fine, but a larger install involving climbing ladders, and distances of 100's of metres, this method is impracticle. My question and potential answer was enquiring as to how to simplify things for me.

Sorry if I've offended you by being the new kid on the block, asking questions to gain knowledge, but we all have to start somewhere don't we!

Sponsored Links
Simply clarifying the situation. We traditionally use up the coax for domes. But we are talking big systems, high value install and property/premises.

We still have to fit traditional domes/statics and even with or budgets, these are standard products. Now, bearing in mind they all have to be focussed, aligned, 'tweaked' tested etc, the standard practice of checking with test meter then the monitors still holds sway.

Like i say, different on the big boys toys, but they come at a price - hence the question.

Simply clarifying the situation.

In which case I apologise, but I took the wording to mean "here's another doughnut diyer, buying £20 ebay camera's and expecting the world" as I've seen many posts, many of which you have replied to with that implication. (I'm not saying incorrectly!)

TBH, working in IT where its a struggle to keep up, and now looking at the CCTV stuff, it just seems so behind the times. My intitial thougths were go IP all the way, but it really doesn't seem to be a particularly popular way of doing things other than DIY stuff with webcams, not least I guess because of what seems to be a limited range of IP cameras. It seems totally crazy that the majority of systems are using this hybrid of antique transmission methods to digital tech (dvr, IT network, Internet, handheld gadgets).

This question regarding OSD from the DVR just seems like a common sense compromise (but not as much so as full IP). I apprecaite the RS485 bit can do it, but more cable - or back to cat5 - so why not IP camera!?!?!?

I think the original question has been pretty much answered - there are ways and means, but they aren't readily available to the lower end market.

If i'm wrong on any of this then once again I apologise - I'm only basing my comments on what I read and learnt over the last few weeks.

Now, bearing in mind they all have to be focussed, aligned, 'tweaked' tested etc, the standard practice of checking with test meter then the monitors still holds sway.

that brings me to my other post regarding test monitor..... as I don't know what they cost, cheap, dear or mid range, I picked out two that seemed priced in the region I was thinking of, but are they overpriced crap, or good for what I'm likely to need for fixed camera in the small business market?

Sponsored Links
Regarding the test monitor, either will do. There are several around that price band. Personally i'd go for the 2nd unit you linked. gives you the common 485 protocols so will cover you for future use.
The onboard 12v output is fine - until you find you are looking at a 24v camera. Besides, better to carry a separate battery.

Regarding IP camera's. COST!!!! and lots of it.
Those ****y little plug in jobbies might be fine for a diy domestic but the commercial stuff can be eye watering.
To fit them on an existing site is a major commitment. Total recable, refit of CCTV room. Cost on it's own is bad enough, the logistics is a problem most companies don't need.

New builds are a different matter. Blank canvas and all that. All cat5, Fibre backbones, PoE, Racked out, etc etc. Again, eye watering cost though. The customer, especially in current climate really does need to justify going down the IP route.

Regarding the test monitor, either will do. There are several around that price band. Personally i'd go for the 2nd unit you linked. gives you the common 485 protocols so will cover you for future use.
The onboard 12v output is fine - until you find you are looking at a 24v camera. Besides, better to carry a separate battery.

Thanks. It was the screen res that concerned me on this - is it sufficient, or rubbish because its a cheapy? I've read various things about small/low res screens being now good for fine tuning the focus.

Regarding IP camera's. COST!!!! and lots of it.
Those p****d little plug in jobbies might be fine for a diy domestic but the commercial stuff can be eye watering.

Exactly the conclusion I came to, there doesn't seem to be a middle ground either. Totally crazy, but I guess lower demand means lower production, which means higher price tag. - The tech is all there and should be cheap as chips - its just the catch 22 supply/demand thing creating the higher prices I suspect. ITS A CRAZY WORLD!

The test monitor is an aid. Not always suitable for spot on focussing/positioning. It's whats seen at the other end to camera that matters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back