My £180 4CH CCTV Setup - A Review

You Buy cheap you buy twice in my opinion!

You can get a UK Samsung 8CH with 500GB for 250UKP inc VAT.......why go cheaper.....I dont understand.....wait until you need the evidence and you are told it will not stand up in court!!

We always/ only ( unless free issue) fit Samsung Cameras..

Sponsored Links
So far so good, no second purchase yet required!

The DVR does a perfectly good job so I see no need to buy a better one; agreed that the camera picture quality probably wouldn't do for a criminal prosecution but that's not what I have the system for (granted, it would be useful)

Expensive cameras are obviously better but my ones do a good job for what I need.

The new App works now too so it's great on my iPad!

Quick snap I've just taken of the new and better iPhone App:

The only downside is quite a stupid one as you have to use the default password in the DVR leaving me open to having my cameras hacked. Luckily I don't really care as they're not in my bedroom or bathroom!

Will add an iPad picture too.

Edit:
Will add an iPad picture too.

iPhone (5) picture taken over 4G, iPad (Mini gen 1) over WiFi.

One year on and no problems so far, cameras have changed colour a bit though from black to more of a bronze colour.

Any regrets? I would like eight channels as I'm building a garden office/shed and would like cameras in/on that too.

Ok so u've got yourself a fully working CCTV system for under £200 what is next?

All I can think of is disaster!

That camera does not have high resolution!
The DVR is the cheapest DVR in the DIY market
There is 1 year warranty and that system will not last even 2 years! (That's almost a promise :D )

Selling a 420TVL camera in 2013 is almost like selling a windows 95 in 2013!

That is a obsolete product!

Where possible try and use a professional CCTV Installers and a good CCTV manufacturer. (Ok maybe not the top ends like Sony, Samsung and the like, but something decent enough !)

*****************************deleted

I am happy to provide free advice.

Sponsored Links
Well we're well over two years in now and, alas, the DVR is dead! Lasted about two years before giving up on life. Replaced it with a Swann 8CH with better apps and features. Of course I still bought it b-grade from Maplin for a steal of a price.

All the cameras are running perfectly 3+ years in and I've purchased some more now I have 8CH to play with. Higher quality cameras such as 1300TVL but still in the £15 - £20 price range.

The original DVR was a good first dabble in CCTV but add together the cost of the two DVRs and you could argue it's better to just spend £300 on day one.

The pros, as above, will still say don't go DIY, but if that's the case I wouldn't go on a DIY forum! I like the satisfaction of doing it all myself and I'm not yet fussed about prosecution quality footage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back