Camera OSD through coax?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm just getting into CCTV having done a couple of very basic installs in shops.

Where I've set up the camera so far I've used my iphone to remotely view the camera and access the OSD display using the buttons/joystick on the camera itself.

I understand this can be done directly from suitable DVR's when connected to suitable camera via the RS485, but of course that means extra wires.

I've seen that sone DVR/Camera combos can control PTZ over the coax (what is this system called?), so I was wondering if the OSD menu can be controlled in the same way? If so, can anyone direct me to DVR/camera models?

Sponsored Links
I meant the system that allows PTZ to be controlled over the coax, but thats not the real question. I would like to control the OSD for the camera over coax (which I guess would be similar/same system as PTZ over coax) if its possible.

I meant the system that allows PTZ to be controlled over the coax, but thats not the real question. I would like to control the OSD for the camera over coax (which I guess would be similar/same system as PTZ over coax) if its possible.
And just how much do you pay for camera's for these 'basic' jobs?
Yes, the question is relevant.

Sponsored Links
Sorry about that, I thought you were querying PTZ.

I haven't seen a camera that can perform PTZ over coax, we've always used cabled installs where the unit is essentially psu powered. Is it possible to use just coax ? I really couldn't say, I've never come across it.

And just how much do you pay for camera's for these 'basic' jobs?
Yes, the question is relevant.

No it isn't relevant. I didn't ask how much they cost if they are available, I asked if the function is "available" on any DVR/Camera combo.

Sorry about that, I thought you were querying PTZ.

I haven't seen a camera that can perform PTZ over coax, we've always used cabled installs where the unit is essentially psu powered. Is it possible to use just coax ? I really couldn't say, I've never come across it.

No worries :)

I believe the ones I'm talking about are powered/coax as normal using RG59+2 cable but the DVR sends PTZ control over the coax, and of course the camera has to be compatible to reecive the command. I figured this is more complex than OSD, so the OSD over coax might be doable in some combo's.

They obviously aren't common though else everyone would know about it!

You're raising some good points. Yes, we have used a Coax mainline and cores. The obvious point, and I think you'll agree, is that the PTZ needs to be manipulated with something other than the carrier cable which is coax in this case. Perhaps we should be looking at a fibre optic solution, could make us milllionaires.

Perhaps we should be looking at a fibre optic solution, could make us milllionaires.

or heaven forbid... IP cameras! :rolleyes:

I found the thing I'd read. It talks of Panasonic and Pelco, but the one I'd seem was the AV tech one (see last post in the link).

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=20854

Also found this.... http://www.cctvcamerasgujarat.com/accessories/avk-t1.html

Doesn't seem very common place though, so I guess I'll be sticking with the ladder for now and using the ickle joystick control!

So if I wanted to do OSD over RS485 or PTZ over RS485 come to that, what cable(s) would it be common to run? :?:

Cat5 and use something like this? http://www.nitek.net/products/videobaluns/VB43ATF.htm

The module looks great, but let's get the price first, and you can use cat5, seems to have everything going for it. In a partner post, although not mentioned, OSD must be above normal, but so must the recording, and it does not always follow that a good OSD guarantees this. It depends on the DVR. A display may look brilliant, but the recording must be equally so, and it doesn't always work out like that. So there's one for the books, using coax for PTZ, we are an old firm and have never even thought about it. In fact, I can't see us moving away from 75 ohm in the foreseeable future.

The module looks great, but let's get the price first, and you can use cat5, seems to have everything going for it. In a partner post, although not mentioned, OSD must be above normal, but so must the recording, and it does not always follow that a good OSD guarantees this. It depends on the DVR. A display may look brilliant, but the recording must be equally so, and it doesn't always work out like that. So there's one for the books, using coax for PTZ, we are an old firm and have never even thought about it. In fact, I can't see us moving away from 75 ohm in the foreseeable future.

I'm not looking to break the mould, but as I work in IT, and do some Cat5 cabling jobs for computer purposes, if I can port that across to CCTV - great! I only ask about the OSD over coax as being a one man show, going up and down the ladder becomes tedious quite quickly! Need an extra pair of eyes on Display/Recordings, thought it might be an option on Coax installs to make life easier.

Hi Alumni,

I don't want to go off topic if it can be avoided, but I have a suspicion that you are not asking about cost just to be awkward, we've got a few of those types on here and you're not one of them. Just give me a bit of info on where you're going with the question, whether it's naughty or nice makes no difference since you know what you are talking about. You would be helping me out, never too old to learn.

Take care mate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back